AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof /forum/post/12988064

Neither the Sapphire HD 3450 or 3650 photos at Newegg show a mult-pin header for external audio input.

ok, im looking forward to seeing some reports on these cards as they certainly look like very interesting cards for HTPC use either way.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj21 /forum/post/12988204

I have Sapphire HD3450. And I love it. Previously I tried MSI HD 2600XT and that card was huge and did not work with my 10 meter long DVI-HDMI cable (weak signal?). Sapphire card is much smaller and worked out of the box.

I tried HW acceleration in PowerDVD and was getting 5-10% CPU usage on both VC1 and AVC. However I use mostly mkv demuxed HD video with subtitles and in this scenario HW acceleration does not work.

The card came without DVI-HDMI dongle, but Catalyst drivers installed the HD audio, which I had to disable.

The card has two pin on-board connector, but I have no clue what it is for.

Here are some pictures:
http://www.alza.cz/ShowImage.asp?idi...fd=f3&cd=EL713

Good to hear about the HW acceleration working in some applications. I saw the two pin connector and I ASSUME it's for an optional fan in case Sapphire wants to build a version with a heatsink/fan instead of a passive heatsink.

What do you use to play mkv videos?

I assume these are h264, is that correct?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof /forum/post/12988414

What do you use to play mkv videos?

I assume these are h264, is that correct?

I use MediaPortal. The videos are x264 (DVD rips reencoded to save space), H.264 and VC1 (HD DVDs created remuxed with eac3to and with additional subtitles).

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I've uploaded 14 pages of the 17 page AMD white paper which has their video playback testing results. The full paper exceeds the upload limit. The test system is 690G based with a A64 X2 3800+ running Vista 64BIT Ultimate. Just noticed now that it's 64-bit. ATI Catalyst 8.1 driver. Forceware 169.12 (Beta). Testing was 12/12/07.

Maybe somebody could interpret the content names for the 1080i playback section, since I'm not familiar with "Sabra Super Extra" or "Yozakura", etc.

Pages from ATI_Radeon_HD_3450_Video_Guide_excerpt.pdf 358.0673828125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj21 /forum/post/12988607

I use MediaPortal. The videos are x264 (DVD rips reencoded to save space), H.264 and VC1 (HD DVDs created remuxed with eac3to and with additional subtitles).

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with MediaPortal. I glanced at their wiki, it looks similar to the BeyondTv I own. The wiki implies that they have a video player, they give keboard transport control shortcuts, but I couldn't find a snapshot of the player itself.

What player do they use? Their own?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
vkristof

Would you post the rest of the pages (where is the first page?)? You should be able to attach up to five files in a post. Thanks!

Yozakura is encoded in 1080i H.264 using macroblock adaptive frame/field (MBAFF) coding. It was used in the AnandTech test

AnandTech - HD Video Decode Quality and Performance Summer '07

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx
vkristof

Would you post the rest of the pages (where is the first page?)? You should be able to attach up to five files in a post. Thanks!
Good point. The rest of the pages (1, 16,17) have very little content but pages 16-17 are attached to this. The first page is just a cover page that shows a WS TV displaying a colorful picture of a woman holding flowers and a low profile passive heatsink card. The subtitle on the cover is "High Definition HTPC for the masses".

I wonder why they removed the paper from their 3400 web page...

Pages from ATI_Radeon_HD_3450_Video_Guide_pages16-17.pdf 33.859375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkristof /forum/post/12988983

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with MediaPortal. I glanced at their wiki, it looks similar to the BeyondTv I own. The wiki implies that they have a video player, they give keboard transport control shortcuts, but I couldn't find a snapshot of the player itself.

What player do they use? Their own?

Yes, it has internal player, but it can also use external one. I use it as an (better) equivalent of MCE My Movies http://www.mymovies.dk/

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is a little bit off topic for the thread, but it was this thread that allowed me to find this motherboard.

I'm really excited about it, anyone else planning on buying this board for their HTPC?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=5451&Itemid=1

Quote:
We've got a picture of Gigabyte's upcoming AMD 780G or RS780 chipset based motherboard the MA78GM-S2H and we've also got some details on the specifications for you. The board is crammed with features, especially when you consider its fairly small size as it's only a mATX board.

One thing that struck us is how small the heatsink on the chipset is, it's no bigger than those found on motherboards from two or three years ago and considering that beneath it is possibly the fastet IGP to date, the heat disipation is really impressive.

The board features HDMI, DVI and a D-sub as well as optical S/PDIF out, 7.1-channel audio, FireWire, four rear USB 2.0 ports and headers for a further eight ports thanks to the SB700-series southbridge and of course Gigabit Ethernet. It looks like an HTPC dream platform to us.

Add to this a x16 PCIe 2.0 slot, a x1 PCIe slot and two PCI slot as well as four memory slots and five SATA connectors and you should have a pretty solid upgrade path. Even with a fairly low-end Sempron, this board should handle HD video decoding, as the chipset is supposed to take care of most of the video decoding workload.

Sadly we won't see this chipset arrive until March, due to AMD needing some more work to tune the Hybrid CrossFire drivers, but at least there should be plenty of boards available on the launch day.
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/8868/index.html

Quote:
Next up we have the first pictures of Gigabyte’s RS780 mATX board, the MA78GM-S2H. This board looks like it will pack a punch when it arrives sometime in March. Gigabyte seems to have packed in just about every single feature you can imagine on this tiny board. It has support for HDMI, DVI and D-sub video output and it offers 7.1-channel sound with optical S/PDIF out. It also has four rear USB 2.0 ports with header for a further eight ports, one rear FireWire connector and a header for a further connector, eSATA and finally Gigabit Ethernet. Not bad for such a small board, but it also has five internal SATA connectors, four memory slots, a single x16 PCIe slot, a x1 PCIe slot and two PCI slots.

As you can see from the picture, the RS780 chipset is running very cool as it only needs a tiny passive heatsink to cool it. This board should also feature AMD’s upcoming SB700 southbridge and it’s the first board from Gigabyte to feature Hybrid CrossFire support and it’s also the first mATX board from Gigabyte that supports the full AM2+ specification.

A couple of shortcomings include the lack of the extra 64MB of 32-bit DDR2 graphics memory that the RS780 chipset supports, but hopefully Gigabyte will launch a model with this at a later stage, as early benchmarks indicate that this makes a huge difference to the cards 3D performance. We’d also like to see a DS2 version of this board will all solid capacitors, as HTPCs tend to get quite hot due to where they are placed, so the extended heat tolerance and component life of solid capacitors would be an advantage here.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
I'll buy it!

The reason for the small heatsink on NB is that its TDP is only 11.4W.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Regarding the new Gigabyte board:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's the board I was looking for. I'm glad you posted the info!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyc /forum/post/12989848

I know this is a little bit off topic for the thread, but it was this thread that allowed me to find this motherboard.

I'm really excited about it, anyone else planning on buying this board for their HTPC?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=5451&Itemid=1

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/8868/index.html

Yes, this or similar 780G based MBs should provide a good bang for the buck. If and when I buy a 780G system, I'll also buy a more powerful AMD cpu than the socket 939 X2 3800s I have now.

However, right now (as opposed to March) I could "upgrade" my existing HD2400 Vista system to the 3450. With my specific situation, I don't know (yet) what the HD 3450 would gain me. The one display device I have that is 1080i is my old HDTV, but I feed that a 720p signal. The reason I mention 1080i is because the AMD white paper states that 1080i is where the 3450 is improved over the 2400.

In any case, I still have my five FREE HD-DVDs sitting in their wrappers.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/12990493

Another digression. GIGABYTE GeForce 8200 mGPU motherboard GA-M78SM-S2H:

http://mb.zol.com.cn/80/804311.html

and GeForce 9200 (?) mGPU motherboard GA-M78UM-S2H:

http://www.hardspell.com/doc/hard/65687.htm

Regarding these digressions, maybe somebody should start a new thread for these 780G motherboards. Since they are appearing in China now, it would get us more information we can use before they appear in the USA or Canada, etc. . Yes, this is NorthAmerican centric thinking, but...

·
Premium Member
9,850 Posts
Wow, tj - that is gorgeous. Which skin are you using? (edit - ReVision)

How well does MediaPortal play HD/BD movies - or are you calling an other player for those?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj21 /forum/post/12989499

Yes, it has internal player, but it can also use external one. I use it as an (better) equivalent of MCE My Movies http://www.mymovies.dk/

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/12996097

Wow, tj - that is gorgeous. Which skin are you using? (edit - Replicant)

How well does MediaPortal play HD/BD movies - or are you calling an other player for those?

The skin is ReVision. And I use the internal player to play HD movies. Default Microsoft VC1 codec and CoreAVC for AVC. I do not get hardware acceleration because of DirectVobSub in the graph for subtitles.

81 - 100 of 348 Posts