AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After further review maybe my upgrade to the Powercolor 5450 was not so hot an idea. I am getting these faint vertical lines that seem to be about 1/8" wide. You can only see them in very black scenes. Also it appears my screen has this flicker to it, also only noticable in the black portions of the picture. I did not have this problem when using my Nvidia 8600GT. Is anyone else having a similar issue. Could it be the drivers, which BTW I downloaded the latest 10.2 version from ATI? Which driver version seems to be the best. Before I send this card back and call it faulty I want to at least do a little troubleshooting to narrow it down. Any thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any thoughts here. Please. Which Catalyst drivers are you all using? Which one is the best? I have a 780G MB and am going to configure to use the onboard HDMI and see if that provides me the same results. I may even put the 8600GT back in and see if that works fine.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it was not the drivers. Bad card. Configured my 780G MB to use onboard HDMI and everything looks great. No funky bars or anything. Strike one for Powercolor. I will be sending this one back to the Egg for a refund. Funny thing is when I got it it came in a package addressed from the Newegg RMA warehouse. I guess someelse had issues as well.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 /forum/post/18301737

Well it was not the drivers. Bad card. Configured my 780G MB to use onboard HDMI and everything looks great. No funky bars or anything. Strike one for Powercolor. I will be sending this one back to the Egg for a refund. Funny thing is when I got it it came in a package addressed from the Newegg RMA warehouse. I guess someelse had issues as well.

That must have come from the California warehouse all the return address labels are like that from there. I doubt Newegg would send an open box item or return as new.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That sucks about the Powercolor. I've had the MSI version of the 5450 for about a month now, and it's been pretty solid, FWIW. It of course has all the "known issues" of the Radeon 5*** series, however.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbob1976 /forum/post/18301737

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/18301833

That must have come from the California warehouse all the return address labels are like that from there. I doubt Newegg would send an open box item or return as new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop /forum/post/18302073

That sucks about the Powercolor. I've had the MSI version of the 5450 for about a month now, and it's been pretty solid, FWIW. It of course has all the "known issues" of the Radeon 5*** series, however.

Yeah I think I just got a bad one and it did come from the CA warehouse. The box was a little tweaked too. I was not real happy with the way it looked. Normally all Newegg stuff comes in boxes, this came in a bubble envelope. I am sure someone had it before me and returned it. Guess I will just stick with my HD3200 on board for a while. I don't have an AVR that does HD audio so I don't really need the HD5450, but it was cheap and had a MIR which I did not send yet thankfully. I will probably get another one eventually.

·
Registered
263 Posts
make sure the pixel format isn't set to 4:2:2. I had similar issues when mine was set that way. some TV's don't handle this well.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaups /forum/post/18304209

make sure the pixel format isn't set to 4:2:2. I had similar issues when mine was set that way. some TV's don't handle this well.

I made sure in Catalyst I either used Full RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4. Both choices gave me the same issues.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusloop /forum/post/18302073

Please elaborate about the issues....

I am also looking to upgrade but it is hard to find something that doesnthave flaws and issues out of the box. Let alone ATI drivers who seem to be bugged beyond belief

1 - 10 of 10 Posts