AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for a good answer, but my google-fu is weak this morning. I have an x1 and am in need of a new dvd player. I understand the Zenith is rated quite highly on this board and is a great match for my projector. There are a limited number of stores that still the Zenith, Amazon and Best Buy are the probably the best, and it is a bit older now. I can get the Samsung hd-850 for less than a hundred bucks, the hd-950 for still less than the Zenith, and the Zenith for about a buck eighty. Has anyone done a direct comparison between these two players with a comperable projector? Is the picture with the 318 worth that much more? I've seen the monster thread for the 318/x1 combo, but haven't yet found much feeback from the Sammy fans.

I could buy both and take back the one that looses, but I figured I'd poll the masses first. The connection would be over component to vga adapter through a switch box. I would run the players at 1080i. Each player requires some simple "adjusting" to upscale over component, so that's a draw. I'm not worried about passing "blacker than black", since I'm not using a crt pj.

I'm planning on buying within the next week, so any help would be great....

Jim

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had DVB318 for a while. I wanted to replace it with something else, and I looked at 841, 850, 941, 950, and DVB418. I ended up getting DVB418, and here's why.

I looked hard and serious at 850 and 950. I found out Zoran chipset is not any superior to Faroudja . (try DVD Benchmark at hometheaterhifi dot com) Basically 418 was ranked much higher than 850 in terms of test results. I use HDMI/DVI output, not components. I didn't read the section about component output on 418 carefully, but I think it was ranked worse. You might want to do some research on this.

As for 318, the picture quality was OK. What I didn't like about it was mainly aesthetics. The tray is flimsy, it takes 10+ seconds to recognize the disc, tacky display, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.