AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,


I have my HD-A1 hooked to my DLP through HDMI and to my Yamaha HTR-5890 Receiver through 5.1 analog inputs (for DD+ and TrueHD) and optical (for DTS soundtracks and SD-DVD audio). I used this forum to help with getting the bass to work properly so I thought I would try to get some help with another issue.


When using the analog outs for HD audio, I get bleeding of the center channel across my Front L/R speakers. This does not occur when using the optical conection.


Has anyone else experienced this issue, or does anyone know some possible solutions to prevent the bleeding?


Thanks for any advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,326 Posts
How have you determined this?


I ask because you do NOT want to use the test tones on this player. Put in an SD-DVd with THX optimizer on it. There was no bleed when I was doing for several months when I calibrated with THX optimizer as the source.


The tones are known to be screwed up..


In short? I think this is an AVR issue. The A1's analog outputs were tested by lots of respected audio evaluations and found to be top notch. Toppest of notches even.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear the bleeding when I have a HD-DVD movie in the player and I am standing next to my speakers. I can clearly hear the main dialog coming from both the center and the front L/R speakers. I do not get this effect when playing audio through the optical cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,087 Posts

Quote:
The A1's analog outputs were tested by lots of respected audio evaluations and found to be top notch. Toppest of notches even.

Actually, the absolute top notch person has looked at the specs for both the first and second generation Tosh players, and found that they both handle LFE and bass management perfectly. For quite a while I have been posting that the 1G players had a problem, based largely on quantitative measurements I had made using HD-DVE. No-one could explain my measurements, so I went directly to the source. Roger Dressler (Dolby Labs) verified that the players were handling everything correctly (and that I was all wet.... woo who!
), and is now looking at the tones on the discs themselves....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairrd /forum/post/13002454


I hear the bleeding when I have a HD-DVD movie in the player and I am standing next to my speakers. I can clearly hear the main dialog coming from both the center and the front L/R speakers. I do not get this effect when playing audio through the optical cable.

And you sure your not just getting 2 channel? That is a very common mistake with the HDM players.


I still think it's an AVR issue here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the very latest firmware update. So, I know the HD-A1 can handle TrueHD in 5.1 now. Plus, I get discrete audio from my rears. I guess I have to look at the cables and make sure nothing is going on at the receiver end that might be causing distortion.


I just wanted to check to see if anyone else has experienced bleeding issues, or if it is just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairrd /forum/post/13001714


Hello,


I have my HD-A1 hooked to my DLP through HDMI and to my Yamaha HTR-5890 Receiver through 5.1 analog inputs (for DD+ and TrueHD) and optical (for DTS soundtracks and SD-DVD audio). I used this forum to help with getting the bass to work properly so I thought I would try to get some help with another issue.


When using the analog outs for HD audio, I get bleeding of the center channel across my Front L/R speakers. This does not occur when using the optical conection.


Has anyone else experienced this issue, or does anyone know some possible solutions to prevent the bleeding?


Thanks for any advice.

Do you have any of the A1's 5.1 speaker settings set to "Small"? If so set all speakers to "Large" in the A1's setup menu.


...Angelo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,326 Posts
More information please...


I can and will evaluate mine over the weekend. Got some titles where you know it happens? What audio track are you selecting? Player audio settings?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/13003113


More information please...


I can and will evaluate mine over the weekend. Got some titles where you know it happens? What audio track are you selecting? Player audio settings?

I will have to write down that info when I get home. However, I know it happens on Serenity and Black Snake Moan, TrueHD and DD+ tracks cause the issue, and these are what I believe my 5.1 settings are: PCM, small (I though they had to be small for the LFE to work properly), 10 ft for C,FL,FR, 0 ft for BL,BR, crossover of 120. I am no sure of the db levels.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top