AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have an A1. Wanted to get a XA2 for the Reon Chip. I'm also considering the A35. Question I have is how much of a image quality difference will I see if I get the A35 instead of the XA2. Anyone seen a direct upconversion comparison between the two?

·
23,030 Posts
For SD-DVDs A35 vs XA2: Upconversion (scaling) not much if any, deinterlacing yes (in favor a XA2)

larry

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have an A1 and at the current prices would love to buy a new player for backup.

It seems like these 3rd gen players offer very little to upgrade except for features I have no use for (1080p/24).

Where is Divx playback, DVD Audio playback, multi channel analog outs?

I guess I'll just wait until the A3 drops below $100.

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/12920637

For SD-DVDs A35 vs XA2: Upconversion (scaling) not much if any, deinterlacing yes (in favor a XA2)

larry

What do you see, may I ask?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/12920637

larry

What do you mean by deinterlacing is better with the XA2?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'll be running my BD30 through an Onkyo 705 receiver to my 720p TV. I've heard that it's upconversion of SD DVD's is not great so I'm looking for the best, cost-effective HD DVD player to do upconverting under the same conditions. From what I've read in this thread it appears that the A35 is basically as good as the XA2 for this purpose. Is this really the case? If so, the A35 is definitely the way to go. Am I correct in assuming that both of them pass TrueHD and DTS HD MA through an HDMI hookup? I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before but after reading all the various threads it's easy to lose track of just what I've read and where.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm /forum/post/12947070

I'll be running my BD30 through an Onkyo 705 receiver to my 720p TV. I've heard that it's upconversion of SD DVD's is not great so I'm looking for the best, cost-effective HD DVD player to do upconverting under the same conditions. From what I've read in this thread it appears that the A35 is basically as good as the XA2 for this purpose. Is this really the case? If so, the A35 is definitely the way to go. Am I correct in assuming that both of them pass TrueHD and DTS HD MA through an HDMI hookup? I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before but after reading all the various threads it's easy to lose track of just what I've read and where.

Well, yes, I own an XA2 and an A35 (and an Onkyo 705), and both pass audio via bitstreaming perfectly, exactly the same (if your XA2 has firmware 2.7 or greater). However, IMO at least the XA2 is noticeably a better upscaler. Huge difference? No, but the XA2 also has picture controls to further fine tune SD upconversion, which the A35 does not. If SD upconversion is VERY important to you go with the XA2. Worth the extra $$$? Probably not, unless it is your # 1 concern.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw97000 /forum/post/12947865

If SD upconversion is VERY important to you go with the XA2. Worth the extra $$$? Probably not, unless it is your # 1 concern.

Thanks for the info. I have almost 400 SD DVDs so I do want to get the best picture I can but price is definitely a consideration. I'm looking at a few XA2s on eBay but you never know what you'll get or how much the price will go up before the auctions over so I'm thinking a new A35 might be the way to go. There are some very tempting prices on the A35 right now.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
While we're on this topic...why is the XA2 so much more expensive than the A35?

Check out the prices on ebay and the A35 goes for around mid 200's while the XA2 go for any where from 100 or more.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKYRO1 /forum/post/12920435

Currently have an A1. Wanted to get a XA2 for the Reon Chip. I'm also considering the A35. Question I have is how much of a image quality difference will I see if I get the A35 instead of the XA2. Anyone seen a direct upconversion comparison between the two?

XA2 will be a little softer and perhaps a slight bit cleaner, the A35 will suck a little more detail out. I prefer the A35 but many will feel otherwise.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister /forum/post/12951160

While we're on this topic...why is the XA2 so much more expensive than the A35?

Check out the prices on ebay and the A35 goes for around mid 200's while the XA2 go for any where from 100 or more.

I think it's because the XA2 isn't being manufactured anymore, i.e. it is "discontinued" and not in regular stock anymore many places. Therefore it is assumed people who want it will pay a premium for it. It is also still considered Toshiba's flagship HD DVD player and will be until (if?) an XA3 ever comes out.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm /forum/post/12949795

Thanks for the info. I have almost 400 SD DVDs so I do want to get the best picture I can but price is definitely a consideration. I'm looking at a few XA2s on eBay but you never know what you'll get or how much the price will go up before the auctions over so I'm thinking a new A35 might be the way to go. There are some very tempting prices on the A35 right now.

Ebay is not my idea of a place to go shopping for something like an XA2. I got mine after being on the fence for a long time from Overstock. It was a refurb, but I got it with a coupon code and a 2 year extended warranty for about 386. It works totally fine, updated firmware and works like a charm. Overstock great customer service too!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Biggest difference is in the quality of the discs themselves. That holds true for SD DVDs, HD DVDs, and Blu-ray DVDs. That is why this comparison is not worth considering.

John

·
Registered
395 Posts
I got my BD30 today and watched SD version "The Fifth Element" and it looked pretty darned good. I'm now wondering if it is all I need although I might get the A35 just to be able to buy HD DVDs until they, supposedly, disappear.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKYRO1 /forum/post/12920435

How big is your screen?

On a 40 or 50 inch LCD or plasma... no, you won't see much of a difference.

If you are using a front projector, with a screen of 100" that is when the cream rises to the top.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts