AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this issue? My Hd-A1 won't play my backup SD DVD's. I am usingMemorez DVD-R's, and an LG Burner. But I wondered if anyone else had this issue. The disc's play fine on my other DVD Players, and my old Original XBOX.

Any pointers, greatly appreciated.

Ken./

· Registered
1,390 Posts
I have no problems playing burned DVD-R discs on my A1 or XA1.

I strictly use Verbatim brand discs and will not burn faster than 4X (Burning speed is a major factor when it comes to compatibility issues). After doing this for seven years now, I have tried every other brand of discs, and Verbatim brand have been the most reliable; I have some now approaching six years old that still play fine. My second choice would be Taiyo Yuden brand. Both can be purchased on line for very reasonable prices.

I use AnyDVD and DVDClone (both by Slysoft) for creating backups, and my burners are Plextor and BenQ brand.

For serious archival material, I rely on Panasonic brand RAM discs. I have never had one fail in seven years.

Hope this helps

· Registered
822 Posts
Mine work ,

You also can upconvert them to 108i on my a1 , since they are ripped ...

Bob

· Registered
8,368 Posts
I had problems too with my HD-A1. I only tried a couple of discs though.

Maxell DVD-R and a Pioneer laptop burner. These discs worked fine in my 6 year-old Panasonic DVD player.

The NEC drive in the HD-A1 seems VERY picky about media.

· Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0

I had problems too with my HD-A1. I only tried a couple of discs though.

Maxell DVD-R and a Pioneer laptop burner. These discs worked fine in my 6 year-old Panasonic DVD player.

The NEC drive in the HD-A1 seems VERY picky about media.

I'll try new media. I only burn at 2x, as the Drive won;t recognise the media as being capable of anything else with the Memorex media.

· Registered
8,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman69 /forum/post/0

I have found that it really depends and which program you use to rip the dvd. Like the backups I've made with dvd x copy will not play, but The ones I've made with dvd shrink always work.

I used Roxio Toast.

Discs from Toast work in every single player I've tried, including very picky ones.

· Registered
3,253 Posts
My A1 plays plays everything I throw at it -- which includes Taiyo Yuden -r & +r dvd5s, and fujifilm and verbatim +r dvd9s -- just like both my Oppo 971 and my Philips 642.

And ya, I would definitely stay away from memorex. Only the best for my backups!

· Registered
1,202 Posts
My HD-A1 plays about 20% of burned dvds. Very dissapoining.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.