AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note that price is NOT a factor in this discussion. I'm considering getting rid of my Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on now that I could get an A2 (D2, whatever) at Costco for that cheap of a price. What do you think? How do the two compare in terms of DVD upscaling as well as Hi-Def playback? The only things that I KNOW will make the A2 more worthwhile for me is the TrueHD decoding (I've preordered the Onkyo 605,) and the fact that it's quieter. Any feedback from people who have experience with both would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
532 Posts
I switched from the 360 add-on the the A2 for one reason. The A2 is completely silent. I didn't like hearing the 360 humming through the entire movie. To me, the PQ is the same for HD DVD and I think the A2 upscaling is better than the 360 (with VGA). I'm glad I made the switch.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Per above i switched tot eh A2 because of havine a noisy 360 - very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm also considered switching, with the low price of the stand alone units now, I think I might pull the trigger, I want to see how much I can get on the resale of my 360 add on, I think it will be a good step up, especially for the upconversion and the audio

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Are the reported A2 audio sync issues fixed yet?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just my $0.02

I just sold my HD DVD add on for the HD-D2 (same as A2) at Costco...$249, you can't beat that. The player is completely silent, which I love. Can speak to the audio, waiting for my tx-sr605 to ship

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just completed the transaction myself! I sold my 360 on craigslist for 250, and just went to Costco to pick up the player. Downloading firmware update right now. And I'm in the same boat as you, waiting on the TX-SR605 to ship! My entertainment setup is ALMOST complete. PS3 for games/blu-ray, HD-D2 for HD-DVD's, Onkyo 605 and Polk RM6800's for audio. God Bless America.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby /forum/post/0

I switched from the 360 add-on the the A2 for one reason. The A2 is completely silent. I didn't like hearing the 360 humming through the entire movie. To me, the PQ is the same for HD DVD and I think the A2 upscaling is better than the 360 (with VGA). I'm glad I made the switch.

Same reason I switched over to the A2, I love my add-on but having a dedicated HD player thats silent and cheap was the deal breaker for me!

·
Registered
12,096 Posts
I sold my add-on a few days before the sale and could not be happier with the decision. Even with the audio update for the 360, it was just lacking (no TrueHD, it gets downcoverted to DD/DTS). The A2/D2 is utterly silent as well, and is a better up-converting player. I had a number of playback issues over the last few months with my add-on and none so far with the D2. The D2 just feels like a better overall player.

·
Registered
5,596 Posts
At this point, I would choose the A2. The recent sound update did help, but I doubt there's much MS can do to quiet the fans. My 360 sounds like an aircraft preparing for takeoff in quiet dialog scenes (my PS3 OTOH is ultra silent). I have a heavy thirst for TrueHD fed via PCM to my HDMI AVR, as well, that the 360 can't deliver in any SKU right now (even the Elite).

But... if you have the trepidation I do for HDDVD's survival as a format and are already a gamer then the 360 is the best solution. Especially if you already own a 360.

Right now, though, I'm seriously considering an HD-D2 from Costco. Given the glorious refund policy that was not revoked for players (despite common wisdom), I'm thinking that if HDDVD died I could trade it in for a Blu-ray standalone in a few years...

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
if its going to be a movie player only the a2 is the better option but the 360 can do alot more than the a2 ever will be able to do. (games (and all that goes with it), media center extender, etc)

the only real question you should ask is if you would use the extra functionality of the 360 and base your decision on that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just sold my used Add-on on ebay for $165, it sold in about an hour with the buy it now option. (I had originally bought it for cheaper then that :p) I was tired of the 360 noise while watching movies and the no losses audio just cemented it for me. I'll be picking up a D2 at CostCo this week.

-bish

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.