AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i'm trying to convince the wife to get one this weekend. But i have to have her convinced that the quality is far beyond regular DVD's. I have a Sammy 50inch 1080p display and a Yammy 1700 receiver.

Now the question. What HD-DVD should i buy to show my wife and make her say WOW! this picture quality is way better. Not worried on how good the movie is. But concerned on buying the one you believe shines above all in picture quality. I need her convinced in order to keep it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Buy one...the wife was complaining a bit until we started up Batman Begins.

I have the 61" version of your TV and the Yamaha 2600. It is superior to even the best OTA image I have ever seen.

We bought BB but will pick up Serenity today and possibly one more. We'll do the 5 free and rent from Netflix but what was as amazing to me as the picture was the sound. Its tough to explain but its on a different level dynamically and sounds great.

·
Registered
505 Posts
king kong or blazing saddles.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you are going to buy a HD-DVD player this weekend then by all means take advantage of a couple deals

Take CC ad to BB to PM the deal of buying a player and Matrix Trilogy and getting 2 more movies in-store for free

Then have BB PM the Trilogy to walmart.com or as many have stated, BB is treating the Trilogy as 3 disc and thus qualifies for the $20 off 3 HD-DVD deal they have this week.

I did exactly that and you end up with 10 movies (5 free by mail, 3 in the trilogy and 2 in-store for free and a new player for $299 + $59.99 or $63.87. Not a bad deal.

Just get the 5 free by mail pdf so you don't pick a movie from it's list as one of your free instore ones.

Tell your wife that even my wife (a woman who grew up with only an antenna and a 20 inch tv) REALLY noticed the difference when we went from DVD to the HD-DVD player. She said even our regular DVD look much better. For her to notice that is something since she is not into the technology, she just wants to watch a movie.

As for what movie to get, maybe get a newer release as they are a little better. But King Kong is pretty good if you like that movie. Matrix Trilogy is said to look very good and sound good. The Planet Earth set is nice but expensive

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/0

OK i'm trying to convince the wife to get one this weekend. But i have to have her convinced that the quality is far beyond regular DVD's. I have a Sammy 50inch 1080p display and a Yammy 1700 receiver.

Now the question. What HD-DVD should i buy to show my wife and make her say WOW! this picture quality is way better. Not worried on how good the movie is. But concerned on buying the one you believe shines above all in picture quality. I need her convinced in order to keep it.

Not sure if your sammy upconverts to 1080p on it's own but if it does be sure to plug the HD-A2 directly into the set.

Any of the HD Scape DVD's are phenomenal. I'd use Antarctica Dreaming (especially if she likes penguins
)

King Kong / Hulk / Matrix (all 3) if she wants to see a movie.

Trust me I would have NEVER kept my player if the difference from std DVD to HDDVD wasn't completely mind-blowing.

Tell her one thing. Why did we buy this TV if we aren't going to use it to it's full capability? This DVD player allows us to do that. Plus the std DVD's will look better than before too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Totally recommend King Kong too. You might even want to skip all the way to the middle, when they encounter the island's creatures.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRZ /forum/post/0

Not sure if your sammy upconverts to 1080p on it's own but if it does be sure to plug the HD-A2 directly into the set.

Any of the HD Scape DVD's are phenomenal. I'd use Antarctica Dreaming (especially if she likes penguins
)

King Kong / Hulk / Matrix (all 3) if she wants to see a movie.

Trust me I would have NEVER kept my player if the difference from std DVD to HDDVD wasn't completely mind-blowing.

Tell her one thing. Why did we buy this TV if we aren't going to use it to it's full capability? This DVD player allows us to do that. Plus the std DVD's will look better than before too.

Yes my sammy upconverts to 1080p

If i pass from the A2 to my sammy directly i won't be able to get the TrueHD and DD+ tracks right?

Can't i just go from A2 HDMI to my Yamaha receiver - then HDMI out from receiver to my Sammy and get the TrueHD tracks?

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:

If i pass from the A2 to my sammy directly i won't be able to get the TrueHD and DD+ tracks right?

Can't i just go from A2 HDMI to my Yamaha receiver - then HDMI out from receiver to my Sammy and get the TrueHD tracks?

If you have a spare HDMI input on your receiver, use that of course. Otherwise run HDMI to the set (speakers OFF) and optical audio to the receiver. Of course, you'll have to mess with lip-synch settings in the second case.

As for DD+ and etc -- how good are your speakers (and ears)? The picture improvement to HD DVD is stunning (noticeably better than broadcast "HD"), but sound past, say, DTS, isn't all that big a deal. At least to me. Now, maybe if I had spent $10K on speakers, but I didn't.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
King Kong or Batman Begins...or Children of Men. update the FW first and preview the movie first as some movies do not play nice with the players

Is she an Eagles fan? the Eagles melbourne disk is sweet for both SQ and PQ

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
King Kong or Phantom of the Opera

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks keep the suggestions coming so far more people are leaning for King Kong for PQ. I am picking one up in about 4 hrs. Lets hope she is convinced enough to let me keep it.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:

Yes...I have the older 1600 and it works beautifully.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hands down... The Chronicles of Riddick.

Out of all the HD movies I have watched on my A2, I keep coming back to this one to show off the player's ability. Riddick looks and sounds fantastic!

I have watched Kong, Children of Men, Mummy, Serenity, Batman Begins, Road Warrior, and the Matrix.

I say pop in Riddick.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Planet Earth Box Set.

The girlfirend loves it. Hell even her mother likes it and basically told her husband to go buy a HDDVD player after seeing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts