AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market for a good upconverting DVD player. I've heard great things about the Oppo 981 model for its upconverting abilities. Although, I now see the Toshia HD-A2 is now on sale and is upconverting as well (and also has the extra bonus of being an HD DVD player) So my question is which of the 2 (oppo or toshiba) is the better DVD upconverter. I will be watching most DVDs in either 720p or 1080i.

Thanks

·
Banned
441 Posts
I don't have the HD-A2, but I have an older Oppo. I've been following the Toshiba's here for a few weeks and I'm interested in the same question. I believe I've read a few posts indicating the HD-A2 is better than the Oppo, but not quite as good as the XA2.

Even if the HD-A2 is equivalent to the Oppo, it is compelling.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Go with the A2. Its upconversion is great. I didn't have an Oppo, but I have a Momitsu, which is also an excellent upconverter, and I'd say they are pretty close together.

Plus, you get what is really important, actual HD material to feed your HDTV.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
The Oppo has superior deinterlacing..... but it not friendly to a lot of TVs. I personally gave mine away to a brother because it was incurably green on my DLP and on my new Plasma 58PX60U it macroblocked terribly. It is working fine on my brothers 1080P Sammy LCD.. Really a Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde player. The A2 is very good player overall, won't deinterlaced like the XA2, or even the 981 but it won't macroblock. The A2/D2 twins are just very good overall players and gets you into high def at or near the price of the Oppo.

I have posed in the SD DVD Forum that if you value the 5 free HD DVDs at $15 each than the D2 from Costco is cheaper than the 981.

If you know your TV doesn't macroblock or go green with the Oppo, and you don't care about HD, than I guess the 981 is still a player to have on a short list. I think it is way overpriced and its Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde personality means you have a good chance of it just being an awful purchase. All this talk about having to calibrate your TV in a certain way to try to avoid macroblocking is very real. My HP 65" was ISFed and we used the XA2 not the Oppo. The Oppo was so green, and it did not matter which colorspace we tried. So anyways you pays your money and you takes your chances. I am happy with D2 attached to the Panasonic., I would have bought a 2nd XA2 if the price had not gone back up. The panny plasma is not 1080P anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts