AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my A20 for quite a while now without a glitch and now I am having audio problems over HDMI. I still have video but no audio. I tried a hard reboot and that worked for several viewings. Now it is a crap shoot if I have audio or not when I turn my player on. Not even a hard reboot, unplugged for over an hour, is now not a guarantee I will have restored audio. I have tried to initialize the player as well and that does not help at all.

My question(s) to all who may have an idea or suggestion is if I don't have audio on HDMI do I still have audio through optical? I don't currently have any AVR to hook up a optical cable to check so I'm relying on some here who may have had this problem before. Is this easily repairable by purchasing a DOA unit on ebay? Should I get rid of the player and get a new one? I have also tried to fix the issue by setting and resetting the audio out on the audio setup screen.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes,

My A20 is connected directly to the TV. I'm running v. 4.0

Thanks.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
4,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/16982204

Yes,

My A20 is connected directly to the TV. I'm running v. 4.0

Thanks.

Regards,

RTROSE

You tried component and RCA stereo cables (red/white)? You don't have a AVR, so you won't lose anything sonically. Actually, you can just go HDMI and RCA stereo cables. Did you try that?

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/16982661

You tried component and RCA stereo cables (red/white)? You don't have a AVR, so you won't lose anything sonically. Actually, you can just go HDMI and RCA stereo cables. Did you try that?

No I have not tried that. I will tonight. I was curious if the other audio outputs were active at the same time or if the issue was just with the HDMI or the entire audio out, HDMI, optical, and RCA. I will do some checking tonight.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried the RCA audio out and have the same problem. I have video but not any audio. I did not even see any "red light" coming from the optical out. So I have an audio issue that is only "cured" by a hard reset and only lasts until I turn the unit off.

So I have a couple of options. Try to fix it/replace it by purchasing a spare, send it to Toshiba (if that is even an option at this point), sell it (full disclosure of course) or just live with it (as frustrating as that is) and hope that it works when I need it after a hard reset.

Still open for suggestions.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 /forum/post/16993400

You could try re-installing firmware 4.0.

Rollback to version 2.7 with this firmware:
http://cid-6948f2460bdd190c.skydrive...20rollback.iso

.. and re-install version 4.0 after that.

Some people prefer version 2.7 over 4.0, so I would at least check if the sound works ok with 2.7 before going on to 4.0.

I might give that a shot. I know that I can't leave it at 2.7 due to some playback problems I have with some of the discs I own. I just don't want to brick my player during the process.

So far though it has worked every time I have started from a hard reboot. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've just started to have the exact same issue. I have my A20 connected via HDMI to an Onkyo 705 and up till about a month ago i've never had a problem. Then all of a sudden the Audio is not being output from the A20.

Rebooting the device doesn't always fix it and several times I've had to shut the receiver and the TV off and start over.

I wonder why it's just all of a sudden started.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron /forum/post/17060883

I've just started to have the exact same issue. I have my A20 connected via HDMI to an Onkyo 705 and up till about a month ago i've never had a problem. Then all of a sudden the Audio is not being output from the A20.

Rebooting the device doesn't always fix it and several times I've had to shut the receiver and the TV off and start over.

I wonder why it's just all of a sudden started.

I have assortment of Tos HD DVD players including 2 A20's. One of my A20s has a similar intermittent audio problem and the other does not. I do not think its related to firmware. It is an odd problem in thar only seems to our or not at power on time. It will usually fix itself if I leave it unplugged for a few hours. My two A35s and A30 have been flawless. All are on 4.0 firmware.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having similar problems with the HD-A2...anyone have issues with this unit? I am using the optical out and component out (Old Mits Diamondvision with 4 year old Pioneer Elite) and I see the optical cable is red when the unit is powered on, so there is power coming through it.

The Pioneer does not recognize anything coming through...this happened out of nowhere, and it is driving me crazy. I just bought a XBOX 360 HDVD Add On for the time being, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just thought I'd throw in that my parents also have this problem on their HD-A20. Nothing could fix it, but I may have them try the hard reset thing, since they don't use it very often. Worth a try at least...

Thanks for posting this issue.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have now noticed A20's showing up on ebay with this issue. Since my A20 has developed this issue it has gone back in the box to serve as a reserve player. I will eventually purchase an A30 or A35 as my second player leaving my A20 in the box "for emergency purposes" only.

I hope the hard reset works for your parents. It has worked each time I have done it, but even I wonder how long THAT will last.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronics craz /forum/post/17721897

i just got one on ebay plays regular dvd's with sound but hd dvd no sound,any ideals what is a hard reboot?thanks

Hard reboot is where you unplug your machine for say an hour or so then plug back in to see if the problem is resolved. I found that if I leave unplugged for several hours then plug back in I can get sound back. If I leave the unit on I can usually play several hours worth without issue. It is only when I turn the unit off (standby) and then turn back on that the problem shows up again.

If you can get sound from SD-DVD's that is better than mine, I can't get sound from anything when it is acting up.

Good Luck

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
53 Posts
this is my first post on this site.i also had a problem with one of my a20 players.would get video but no audio thru the hdmi connection to my sony 4300es avr.when i checked hdmi audio settings i found it set to pcm output.i had just purchased the player and was not aware of settings prev.owner had applied.at any rate after checking i set hdmi audio to the auto setting and optical to pcm.after that it worked great.audio and video were both being played.i have a 2nd a20 that worked fine with hdmi setting on pcm for a short while then one day audio was gone and video was not.made same adjustments to hdmi audio settings and it worked correctly again.could everyones problems be related to the way the units hdmi and optical settings have been engaged?i own a few hd-dvd players and this model is the only one that does this kind of thing.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just wondering if anyone can help..I am having a devil of a time getting my A-20 to handshake HD-DTS thru my Onkyo 806...I am going full HDMI thru both units,,I have set the player to bitstream,PCM,etc...but cannot seem to hit the nail on the head....Any suggestions??

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 /forum/post/17846669

Just wondering if anyone can help..I am having a devil of a time getting my A-20 to handshake HD-DTS thru my Onkyo 806...I am going full HDMI thru both units,,I have set the player to bitstream,PCM,etc...but cannot seem to hit the nail on the head....Any suggestions??

Thanks

the a20 does not decode or bit-stream dts-hd no matter what setting you use.it will only give you the standard dts core.the a20 does decode dolby digital plus and dolby trueHD and sends it to your avr as pcm 5-1 surround.sound quality is pretty much the same as a bitstream audio set up on an hdmi 1.3 machine like the xa2 and a35.make sure you dont have a downmix setting selected in the set-up menu of player.i hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had two A20's with the same audio problem described here: DVD & HD DVD video fine but no audio; CD's play OK. The problem is progressive: first you fix it by soft reboot (turn player on an off). Then that stops working and you go to hard reboot (unplug player and let it sit for a while). Eventually that also stops working, and the player becomes an expensive CD player only. Speaking as an electrical engineer, I can make some intelligent guesses about what is going on. First, the fact that the problem gets worse over time suggests a progressive component failure and not a firmware problem. I tried the solution suggested by sjitalian, above, but it does not work on my player. I have been unable to locate any schematics for this unit, and an inspection of the circuit board was not helpful because it is too complex. Most likely the system has the CPU send the audio bitstream from the DVD to a special-purpose audio decoder, which in turn feeds and optical encoder, an op-amp for analog output, and another chip for the coax output. A separate CD audio decoder chip gets the bitstream for CD playback, and its output is also sent to the same three output chips. Most likely the audio decoder chip for the DVDs & HD DVDs is what fails, since it appears that DVD and HD DVD audio is dead on all outputs, while CD audio still works. I will contact Toshiba and ask them to post some information about this problem; the engineers who designed this unit can probably pinpoint the problem quickly. If they can tell us what chip it is, and if the chip is still available, it can be replaced. I will post here anything I find out, but I'm not optimistic that Toshiba will respond.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.