AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if these are dumb questions; I just started looking into HDDVD.

I did a search and didn't find any info for this.

Will the Toshiba HD-A3 play H.264 videos?

I also found a prog that claims to convert to VC-1, and is compatible with HDDVD and BD. From what I understand, this is a better faster codec for HDDVD than H.264.

"VC-1 rocks in terms of video quality, and its encoding is fast. H.264 AVC rocks in terms of video quality, but it takes forever to encode, and many times longer than VC-1 for the same quality.

their test encodes can take 6-7X as long for AVC vs. VC-1."
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12186383

Will VC-1 encodes play on the HD-A3? Thanks

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac /forum/post/13016958

My apologies if these are dumb questions; I just started looking into HDDVD.

I did a search and didn't find any info for this.

Will the Toshiba HD-A3 play H.264 videos?

I also found a prog that claims to convert to VC-1, and is compatible with HDDVD and BD. From what I understand, this is a better faster codec for HDDVD than H.264.

"VC-1 rocks in terms of video quality, and its encoding is fast. H.264 AVC rocks in terms of video quality, but it takes forever to encode, and many times longer than VC-1 for the same quality.

their test encodes can take 6-7X as long for AVC vs. VC-1."
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post12186383

Will VC-1 encodes play on the HD-A3? Thanks

I'm curious abut this too. From the Chinese players/market to independent productions, it be interesting to know what there players can handle.

The official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring. may offer some insight, haven't read though it myself.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor /forum/post/13017096

I'm curious abut this too. From the Chinese players/market to independent productions, it be interesting to know what there players can handle.

The official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring. may offer some insight, haven't read though it myself.

That leads to another question, is there a firmware hack for H.264 if it doesn't already support it?

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
If you guys are talking about home made videos recorded on DVD Rs, there is a format all HD DVD players support but the only video encoding it supports is MPEG2. I forgot the exact name of it. You should head over to HD DVD Software forum and check out the sticky thread about this.

All HD DVD players play H.264 and VC-1 authored on HD DVD of course.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It's an interesting question and there are a LOT of people trying to answer that. It would be great to encode VC-1 on dvd-r, but I don't think anyone has an answer for it yet. I know the program you speak of and it spits out a WMV file which won't work in the Toshiba in its raw form.

When you create a HD DVD on regular dvd media (called 3x dvd.... and I have done many), the format is very similar to a regular dvd, But instead of a Video_TS folder, it has a HVDVD_TS folder and instead of VOB files, it has EVO files. All else is the same (IFO files, BUP files...etc), but the file format is MPEG2 and the disk is written as UDF2.5 (or 2.6)

So the trick is to find a program that will burn the same kind of structure but with VC-1 as opposed to mpeg. I don't think that program exists.... yet anyway. If it does though.... I would LOVE to know about it!

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Tools for consumers are not that evolved yet.

I would really want a tool that encodes 23,976P (VC1 or AVC) with 4,6mbs PCM surround tracks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/13018419

Tools for consumers are not that evolved yet.

To the degree you are speaking of that's true, but a sixty dollar player can decode H.263(Xvid/Divx) and MPEG-2 at 9.8Mbps.

HD chips are much more advanced, so why doesn’t Toshiba et.al; include H.264 decoding from a standard DVD?

Ipod nanos can decode it, so there’s no question that an HD player can. It just needs to be implemented.

The decisions made by the electronics industry; video and audio, baffle me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I too wish to take my H.264 files and make 3xDVDs (Barney said this is what HD-DVD on a regular DVD-R is called). Just tonight I made my first ever HD-DVD on a regular DVD-R. I used Ulead Movie Factory 6 and used it to render and burn a 30 minute first segment (from a 90+minute .WMV 1080i file). The Toshiba HD-A2 saw it as a HD-DVD, however the sound said 2-channel and was on the loud side and the video's motion wasn't quite fluid like it should have been. It was just barely watchable, but not a keeper. Still it was a bit of a breakthrough.

Now I need to know why the sound did not stay 5.1 and why the video had the jerkiness. It played fine in Windows Media Player. If I knew why perhaps I could understand how to correct it. Glad it turned out to be an HD-DVD according to the staus indicator on my HD-A2, but sad it wasn't good quality. Any advice is appreciated. Also how do I take a H.264 file and burn it to regular dvd keeping HD resolution?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts