AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new out of the box player plugged in and attempting to update firmware over a cable modem. Of course cable goes out during the update and now nothing works. Black screen with "welcome" on the front of the player. I have tried the hard reset 10 second holding the power button thing and still nothing. Any button I push it beeps at me. Called tech support and they said to send it in. Was hoping there was something I could do here that would get it to reset to default settings or somesuch so I don't have to send it in.

·
Premium Member
14,628 Posts
What stage of the update were you at?

Did you lose power to the HD DVD player?

Try unplugging/yanking out the power cord after it is on?

Pretty much, if you did not lose power after it finished the download and was starting to reflash the memory, you may have a chance. If the memory reflash was started and interrupted, you have corrupt firmware when will stop a regular boot up? Pretty rare to people to actually screwup the firmware update as you have to lose power when memory is in transition after the download or ISO image has been verified.

Make sure the video outputs are not reset, its possible a output setting has been changed and is not working with your display now. Its possible players working fine, its just sending out an image that you display cannot use. Does the S-video or composite outputs work?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
If it was brand new then it likley already had the latest firmware. I bought my A30 about 2 weeks ago and it already had 1.3 so I never bothered trying to update. However...trying to configure the ethernet locked mine up hard requiring a power cord pull. I don't really want to run Cat5 through my livingroom anyway so I didn't mess with it further..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cable went out during the "updating do not turn power off" or whatever the message said on screen. When I came back I had no message on the screen and the power light button was alternating blinking between blue and red. Now when I turn it off and back on either with the button or pulling the cord it does nothing when I turn it back on except beep with any button pressed. Guess I do have a corrupt system now. Such a beating considering it hadn't been out of the box 15 minutes prior to.

·
Registered
794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh1975 /forum/post/13018260

The cable went out during the "updating do not turn power off" or whatever the message said on screen. When I came back I had no message on the screen and the power light button was alternating blinking between blue and red. Now when I turn it off and back on either with the button or pulling the cord it does nothing when I turn it back on except beep with any button pressed. Guess I do have a corrupt system now. Such a beating considering it hadn't been out of the box 15 minutes prior to.

Since it is brand new exchange it or return it. The only fix for such an issue is to send it in to Toshiba but since it's new...

·
Registered
513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton /forum/post/13018931

Since it is brand new exchange it or return it. The only fix for such an issue is to send it in to Toshiba but since it's new...

+1

Jorge

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh1975 /forum/post/13018260

I know this is too late to save you now but...when you get a new one check to see what your firmware version is before you even think about updating. Like I said above...I got mine 2 weeks ago and it already had version 1.3.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Geeze, you guys with all the firmware updating, just leave the thing alone, I have read more threads like this, I feel badly with those who have had these types of problems.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Well, I wrote something earlier today, but it got lost in the server crash. Anyway, to recap:

The OP's player would not have attempted a firmware update via internet if it was already up-to-date, therefore it was a valid attempt.

To the OP: try the hard reset methods of unplugging the unit for 10 min, then after plugging back in hold the power button for 5 or 10 seconds.

But if your player truly is bricked (which it could be if caught "with its pants down" mid-upgrade during cable outage), take it back to the retailer and exchange for a new unit. It will probably get sent back to Toshiba, who will do a factory FW flash, and it wil end up on Overstock for $150 or so....

IMHO, YMMV, This data could get lost at any time, so read now, for the end may be nigh...

shinksma

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I contacted Toshiba by email and they mailed me the 1.3 firmware update disc within a week - ran it - no problems - all went well.

·
Registered
346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood /forum/post/13030509

Geeze, you guys with all the firmware updating, just leave the thing alone, I have read more threads like this, I feel badly with those who have had these types of problems.

It is rare for a firmware update to mess up your system. The reason why you read a lot about it here is because AVS is also a tech support forum. I've been doing firmware updates for a very long time now on various motherboards, videocards, and other devices. I've only had 1 messed up firmware update about 7 years ago. HD DVD firmware update shouldn't mess up unless the power goes out on you after it finishes downloading. So rest easy and just update your firmware.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have never updated mine and still run 1.0 that it came with. Mine runs fine and I have never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
By the way, you can download the firmware updates and burn them to DVD/CD. You don't have to order the CD by snailmail.

As an aside, I updated my A30 today and playing the Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix HD-DVD. I had sound but couldn't hear the dialog. I had the settings set for bitstream and the optical out going to the B&K AVR307. After a bit of playing around, I seem to have gotten it to work with surround but I'm damned if I know what I did.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just got my NEW A30 and it had 1.0 firmware on it and the enclosed Bourne Identity would not play...it even had a sticker saying it needed an update firmware before it would play. I hooked it up to my network and 40 min. later ver 1.3/1.1 was indicated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How can you check to see what version of the firmware you have installed on your player. I bought my A30 less than a week ago so I'm pretty sure it has it but I would like to make sure.

Thanks,

Roque

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA /forum/post/13069731

How can you check to see what version of the firmware you have installed on your player. I bought my A30 less than a week ago so I'm pretty sure it has it but I would like to make sure.

Thanks,

Roque

Setup->General->Maintenance->Update.

It will say something like this "1.3/T2.3M",the first number is the FW version.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks I appreciate it.

Roque

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderprime00 /forum/post/13033712

It is rare for a firmware update to mess up your system. The reason why you read a lot about it here is because AVS is also a tech support forum. I've been doing firmware updates for a very long time now on various motherboards, videocards, and other devices. I've only had 1 messed up firmware update about 7 years ago. HD DVD firmware update shouldn't mess up unless the power goes out on you after it finishes downloading. So rest easy and just update your firmware.

You say it "is rare for a firmware update to mess up your system." Then you say "the reason why you read a lot about it here" so are you saying that there are a lot of people who have problems with firmware updating or that you people don't have these issues? I have read many a post similar to this thread so people bricking their players is not rare. I just feel that if it ain't broke, you know the rest. See if the player works properly first, if it does, then don't worry about all the firmware crap.

·
Registered
346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood /forum/post/13073547

You say it "is rare for a firmware update to mess up your system." Then you say "the reason why you read a lot about it here" so are you saying that there are a lot of people who have problems with firmware updating or that you people don't have these issues? I have read many a post similar to this thread so people bricking their players is not rare. I just feel that if it ain't broke, you know the rest. See if the player works properly first, if it does, then don't worry about all the firmware crap.

Lets say you see 100 post about the situation. 100 out of 1 million owners is not bad, even 1000 out of 1 million is not bad. 1000 seems a lot, relative to 1 million and it is only a small fraction. On my A30, I run my update overnight. As long as I don't get a power failure during the evening at the specific time after the download completes, I'm pretty happy in the morning. For those that are really worried, I would get the HD DVD player from Costco. So even if by a small chance, you brick your system, you can return it. That policy seems to last a long time. The other option is to get a Xbox360 AO that doesn't suffer from firmware updates.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderprime00 /forum/post/13074793

Lets say you see 100 post about the situation. 100 out of 1 million owners is not bad, even 1000 out of 1 million is not bad. 1000 seems a lot, relative to 1 million and it is only a small fraction. On my A30, I run my update overnight. As long as I don't get a power failure during the evening at the specific time after the download completes, I'm pretty happy in the morning. For those that are really worried, I would get the HD DVD player from Costco. So even if by a small chance, you brick your system, you can return it. That policy seems to last a long time. The other option is to get a Xbox360 AO that doesn't suffer from firmware updates.

Well, I don't really know, I was under the impression that it was more than 1 and a million.....if these are the odds, the dude who started the thread is one unlucky dude.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts