AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This unit does have an internal decoder correct?

Settings would be PCM for output over HDMI for unit to decode and send to receiver. From reading the manual it almost looks like the unit has no internal decoder.

The reason for the questions is that when playing a HD disk, only the stereo track is being received by the Denon.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's right. The A30 has no internal audio decoder ... you can't get analog outputs out of the A30. For that, you have to go to A35.

And i'm not even sure that's the way to go neither ... by feeding individual analog feeds to the receiver, you are essentially bypassing the receiver's analog deocder, which a lot of times also take care of delays. You just won't be able to calibrate the audio setting as well with individual analog channels.

I think unless you have a receiver that decodes TrueHD or DD+, personally I'd rather live with downmuxed DD5.1 or DTS5.1.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I will recommend he go to a unit with a decoder. By the way, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went on to Crutchfield's website and it says that the Toshiba does have any internal decoder.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Say what? If you set your HD DVD player to output multi channel PCM then your receiver should have no problem getting 5.1 channel PCM from any HD DVD player over HDMI. All players internally decode DD+ and TrueHD unlike the Blu competition.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I thought. The receiver is only lighting up l & r channels and still saying multi channel on display.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The owner actually found a section in the back of the manual that if output is 480i or 480P, only 2 channel pcm will be outputted. I thought that was a little odd, but switching to 720P brought the extra channels.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Why wasn't it set to 1080i/p in the first place?!?!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hmm. Something funny going on here. Don't know why there would be a relationship between video resolution and audio output, but apparently there is.

I just picked up one of these players and saw a similar problem. I don't have an HDMI capable receiver so I connected the audio through the digital optical connection. With both discs that came with the player (Bourne Identity and 300) my prepro would show dolby 2.0, but a Mission Impossible disc would properly display dolby 5.1. Tried changing audio settings but to no avail. Then I read this thread and double checked the video settings. Resolution was set to "up to 1080i". I changed it to "up to 1080p" and tried Bourne again. Lo and behold the missing channels are back!!

Why on earth those settings are connected I have no idea. Quirky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts