AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own both of these wonderful machines with all of their firmware updates (4.0). I also own a Pannasonic Blu-Ray player (model DMPBD-35). All of them are terrific! Now that Toshiba plans to make a Blu-Ray player, I have a question. Are there any plans to separate Toshiba Blu-Ray players from the pack by adding SRT technology and a capability to stream NetFlix movies instantly through them? Also, does anyone know of any plans by Toshiba to issue a firmware update to the HD-A35 and HD-A3 to allow those models to stream NetFlix "Instant movies" via the internet connection on them? This would be a tremendous add-on feature that, 'I think', could actually be done without a firmware update for the HD-A35 and HD-A3. I am no expert on this, but couldn't Toshiba just partner with NetFlix and jointly issue a HD access disk that allows owners of the A35 and A3 to access NetFlix online Website via the ethernet connections both players already have. The heavy lifting and programming would have to be done on a computer (just like the XBox Live NetFlix feature). And one would always need the NetFlix Disk to play movies on-line. Of course this feature could be built right into their new Blu-Ray models to access without a NetFlix disk. And I would definitely buy one if it included SRT too. Just some ideas. Toshiba shouldn't abandon buyers of those wonderful HD-DVD players as long as alternative uses like internet streaming are out there. In fact, they should open up their code for streaming from all of the "net Streamers" on the A35 & A3.

Bottom line, We still love them and would jump on an opportunity to stream NetFlix movies and other net sources through them (including online HD content). This would also create quite a robust aftermarket for used Toshiba HD-DVD players. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not that I think that Toshiba will make a new firmare with streaming capabilities, but firmware version 4.0 was made more than a half year after the format was declared dead. So Toshiba sometimes does things not solely out of profit considerations.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 /forum/post/16928598

Not that I think that Toshiba will make a new firmare with streaming capabilities, but firmware version 4.0 was made more than a half year after the format was declared dead. So Toshiba sometimes does things not solely out of profit considerations.

rather, out of pride maybe.

Considering that any streaming functionality would require costly DRM middleware/software, and much programming/testing, I dont see how the bean counters would ever allow this considering its not like they are going to be able to amortize these expenses on new player sales, unless the Chinese are going to subsidize features only US consumers can use????

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Personally, I'm surprised and happy that Toshiba sent out an update that addressed most, if not all of the XA2s issues. That was great customer support, above and beyond, when they didn't have to do anything...Will

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 /forum/post/16922905

I doubt Toshiba will update the 4.0 firmware. Too many other time consuming projects to put manhours on something that won't return a dime.

By partnering with NetFlix, Hulu and others on this, they actually could earn a pretty hefty dime through licensing via their players (just like the XBox and PS3). They could then include this "Streaming" feature in all of their future DVD (with SRT) players and Blu-Ray players. All I am suggesting is that this feature is, maybe, easily backward compatible with the HD-DVD players already out there that have internet connectivity. Those HD-DVD players are probably already capable of streaming video (even in HD). And probably just need a proprietary NetFlix activation disk to make it happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts