AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a hauppauge hvr-1600 analog no problem qam i tune some channels but all i see is black screen and no sound. i assume these are scrambeled channels.

will i be able to get hd through this card with an hd set top. if so do i just hook coax to atsc/qam input or splitter after the box to analog and digital inputs or does in need component in to receive hd(besides coax i only have an s-video in and that doesnt get hd resoulition does it?)

box is comin tommorrow and i want to be able to watch the game in hd on sunday.if this wont work what tuner card will?

any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruwackd /forum/post/12979602

The QAM tuner will only get unencrypted digital channels from your cable (usually just your locals but varies by provider) and will not be able to receive HD channels from your cable box output.

even with hd box?

You can use the WinTV application to scan for unencrypted channels. Directions can be found here:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/suppo...t_hvr1600.html

Have followed and came up with 8 channels all were black. i assume that these are encrypted. thats why i was wondering if after hd box they would be clear and if that would work

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
This card has NOTHING to do with any HD box. There is nothing the 1600 can do downstream of a cable box. OK... it CAN digitize S-video and Composite but that's not HD. Sounds like your QAM tuning (test) found 8 encrypted channels -- maybe a call to your provider is in order since they're supposed to provide the locals in the clear. OR, maybe tell them your modem isn't working right to see if they have a filter on your line.

These ATSC tuners came about as purely Off-The-Air (OTA) devices. They eventually began tuning clear-QAM from the cable, but this is an additional feature and it takes QAM-supporting software to do it. How about hooking up an antenna and receiving them OTA. Goto antennaweb.org and look up your specifics.

If you have a HD STB, why do you want to watch HD on the 1600?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
antennaweb has told me i need a large rooftoop to get signal. dont really want a giant ant on roof. or to climb up really. dont necassarily want the 1600 but would like everything being controlled from desktop surf watch and get pvr function. i saw elsewhere something about firewire control for stb would that be an alternative?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts