AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok about ready to crawl up on my roof and do my thing, with an outside attenna, (if winter does not come too soon) I am looking for more specific recommendations, from someone in my area, as to recommendations for OTA, outside antenna, to include brand name, ampplified or not amp, etc! Live in Wixom, MI, so anyone in the immediate area, give me some suggestions, either UHF only or combo UHF/VHF. (Most likely combo, as I need to pick up chaneel 9, CBC Windsor for the hockey games) Help me out QUICKLY , winter is coming!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hi PTS, I bought the Antenna Performance U-92 which is UHF only, and get great results for Digital TV. I use a WINEGARD AP-8780 pre-amp. My endorsement is based on reception of channel 50 in Madison, WI (110 miles) and Milwaukee's channel 28 (90+ miles). These results depend somewhat on weather conditions since UHF signals won't go past their normal horizon without some bending of the signal. Local stations won't be online for at least 2 months for me. As you are pretty close to Detroit, you probably don't need the preamp.

Antenna Performance also sells VHF/UHF antennas for your channel 9 reception. I have picked up Digital channel 8 from Milwaukee with this UHF antenna, but the gain is definitely lower, especially below channel 12.

·
Registered
987 Posts
FYI:

There is no difference between a TV antenna and a Digital or HDTV antenna.

Digital and HD is a form of modulation characteristic.

Presently most DTV stations use UHF to transmit (not all). So your problem is to find an antenna that is big enough to pick up TV signals from your house to the transmitting antenna.

First go the the web and find out where the transmitting antenna's are now and will be in the future. Then find the distance. If they are too far apart you may need a rotor. Then once you know the distance and the terain, you pick the size.

Amplifiers help compensate for signal loss from antenna to TV. If a decent signal is not at the antenna, then amplifiers don't help.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know its hard to believe, but the Radio shack double bow tie antenna is outstanding in Plymouth, not very far from Wixom. do yourself a big favor and try it first. If it fails to perform the return policy is great. Randy

·
Registered
271 Posts
The double bowtie is RATED as UHF only, but in my case it picks up 10-1 perfectly, which techincally would fall into the VHF range.

Don

Quote:
Originally posted by George33027
Remember that double bow tie is UHF only.

Check your area, if you have VHF then you will need another antenna or a dual.

In my area, I have 2 VHF digital channels (ABC and FOX).

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Are you sure 10-1 is VHF. The channel my Zenith STB calls 10-1 (the digital version of NBC channel 10 in Norfolk) is actually UHF channel 31. I thought all digital channels are UHF, so as to eventually give back all the VHF frequencies. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PTS

give me some suggestions, either UHF only or combo UHF/VHF. (Most likely combo, as I need to pick up chaneel 9, CBC Windsor for the hockey games) Help me out QUICKLY , winter is coming
There is hockey on 16 (Windsor) weeknites sometimes. Suggestions for your area - use RG-6 cable, rotor, no amp; separate VHF/UHF antennas. VHF - any ChannelMaster 6' plus; UHF - Channel Master Parabola would be pricey best if you find one. However, flying arrow design would work for you. Delhi brand has better reflector design than ChannelMaster on this model. You will need a mast mounted vhf/uhf combiner if you go the 2 antenna mount. This will give better reception than single antenna, especially in summer when co-channel and adjacent channel issues are most apparent

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Channel 14 is concidered UHF. Here in the bay area we have one VHF digital station on channel 12, but they broadcast at such low power (8.9 KW) lots of people have trouble recieving it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DAP
Channel 14 is concidered UHF. Here in the bay area we have one VHF digital station on channel 12, but they broadcast at such low power (8.9 KW) lots of people have trouble recieving it.
Ooops, my mistake. Been a long time since I had a seperate VHF channel dial. So, all the Detroit digital broadcasts are UHF then.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For recommendations on antenna gain (size) and direction(s) to point it, try www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/step1.html.

You can get away with using a UHF only antenna for the upper VHF channels if they are close by. My generic 4 bay bow tie picks up my channels 8 and 10 well enough. However the transmitting towers are labeled as "yellow" by antennaweb.

I recommend www.starkelectronic.com for antennas and preamps. They got everything!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.