AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a basic set-up question as I am pretty close to cutting the cord. I'd like to get rid of our DirecTV and go with Sling via Fire TV stick + an HD Antenna.
My question is how to connect the HD Antenna to our AVR as the only coax input on the AVR appears to be for an FM antenna? We are using the following set-up:

• Dennon AVR E-400
  • Vizio 42" LED HDTV
  • 5.1 Ascend Acoustics surround
I know we can connect the HD Antenna to our TV, but the AVR is connected to the TV via a single HDMI. Anyway to run the antenna through the AVR so the sound comes through that way?

Thank you!

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. I guess I wasn't missing anything then.
I will try with this gizmo, looks like it will be most helpful:
Mediasonic HDTV Digital Converter Box w/ HDMI Out
No, you are missing pretty much everything. Your TV has a tuner already. You don't need any box. The same HDMI from your TV to AVR carries sound back to the AVR as well. That's what ARC does. All you have to do is enable it.

·
Registered
22,643 Posts
Assuming the TV supports ARC. ;)

If not, the TV probably has an optical output. Connect a Toslink cable from the TV to the Denon. You can use that for digital audio.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything? :confused: Bummer.
So the HDMI out from the AVR will carry sound from the TV back to the AVR?
I can see why I would miss that.
The TV definitely has an optical output. We used this in an earlier configuration. I'll have to investigate whether or not the TV supports ARC.

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
His Denon definitely does ARC. I have exactly the same model. Optical is an easy workaround, but I was just trying to save him the effort of running another cable and reassigning inputs. This definitely has any easy solution that doesn't involve buying an external tuner.

·
Registered
22,643 Posts
1) Verify the TV's features
2) ARC = Yes. HDMI (and proper setup)
ARC= No. Optical (and proper setup).

Now that's simple! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I understand this, ARC is "Audio Return Channel"? Maybe this is a good excuse to upgrade. Everyone keeps saying our TV looks small in our new set-up, haha.

Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,447 Posts
Everyone keeps saying our TV looks small in our new set-up, haha.
What is your viewing distance to your 42-in HDTV?

Do everyone also have larger TVs than yours, or are they just trying to use your TV as their free movie theater? :D (Come to think of it, why not charge admission?)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.