AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why hasn't radio shack came out with a stand-a-lone antenna receiver for people who don't want the sattilite receiver. Seems to me they would stand to get rich here pretty soon on something like that. maybe in kit form to save them on labor cost and they would make that much more money. Anyone heard of a company planning to build a sub $100 unit like this. Would beat the hell out of the $700 extra to have it built into the unit at purchase. If there is such a thing could you please post the website. Thanks!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think you mean you want a Hd receiver that is not connected to Dish or Direct? That would be the Samsung STB.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Radio Shack doesn't build their own major electronics equipment but is a reseller for Compaq, Microsoft, RCA, Sprint and Verizon. They aren't exactly the place to find price breaks either.

RS hasn't been a decent source of kits since the 60s. Due to the lower cost of modern manufacturing methods vs. the higher cost of technical support, kit production as a cost saving measure just doesn't work. Heathkits and RS kits were more expensive even in the 60s than opponents' fully built equipment. Try to find a kit at the Heathkit website.

Samsung makes a nice OTA only receiver but the cost of production and lack of volume does not nearly allow for a $100 price point. The ATSC tuner, not the satellite tuner, remains the more expensive part of the box. $100 ATSC tuners will undoubtedly appear but it will take a little time and RS will not be the company making the breakthrough.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The potential market for such a kit is very small so I don't think any company would be interested in making one.

What is really needed is some company to gear up for volume production of set top boxes, and set a price which will attract more customers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.