AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused. I receive HD signals beautifully from DirecTV. I recently bought a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna to pick up OTA HD signals. I live in West Hartford , Connecticut (zip 06107). I am hoping to avoid having to mount an antenna on the house. I am able to pick up several signals (CBS, NBC, PBS, and ABC), but I need to reposition the antenna each time to get each station. Is this normal? Is that simply what I should expect? Or are there antennas that would do a better job of picking up different signals from different directions? The Silver Sensor is passive, so there is no signal gain. I had hoped to put it in my garage attic, but if I have to re-position it everytime I change channels that would be senseless.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The Silver Sensor is VERY directional. That's the whole design criteria - rejecting multi-path (reflected) interference. You can only do that by zeroing in on the main signal.

If it works for you (and feng shui) leave it on top of the TV or receiver or something.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I doubt there is a solution for your - either an antenna with a rotor - or manually repositioning. Digital signals are pretty picky. You are lucky - I am too far way to get any HD signal OTA except what Fox is doing (480P)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I "posted" before I was ready. More questions - how come it seems like some people can pick up HD signals from antennas that are not described as "digital" or high def? People in this forum have mentioned some RS models that the guys at RS told me won't pick up HD signals. :confused: :confused: Also, so far the programs I have watched OTA do not seem nearly as crisp as the satellite HD signals. I assume this is due to upconversion or something like that ???

Lastly, one guy at RS said that DirecTV is offering High Def local channels if I add the Sat C LNB to my oval dish. I have not heard that before. Is he just mis-informed???

Thanks to all for your help :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Joel, you have been mislead by RS, that person doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

First, there are no distinctions between "HD" or Analog signals that are sent over the aire just UHF & VHF. So for some a RS will work and others not.

Second, the RS person is just flat out wrong about their antennas and their ability to pick up HD OTA from locals.

Third, the RS person is also wrong about D* offering HD locals, this probably just won't happen, do a search. The only channel offered at the 110 degree slot which the Sat C kit picks up is Showtime HD.

And last but not least, the signals that you are viewing with your SS are probably not True HD, but upconverted material, ussually HD materials are shown in primetime and CBS has Football.

you should probably check out these websites:

antennaweb.org

hidefguide.com

Good luck

·
Registered
971 Posts
Joel,

I agree with most of what Gator said. The RS guys are not giving you the right info. You don't need any special "HD antenna" or special gizmo antennae to pick up digital HDTV.

What programs have you watched and weren't happy with picture quality? Not sure which NBC your picking up but the only live digital one is out of Springfield (WWLP) and they're not doing HD yet. CBS (WFSB) and ABC (WTNH) are doing a lot of their primetime stuff in HD. PBS (WGBY) out of Springfield only does demo/travel HD during primetime.

I've noticed that there are differences in HD quality on the networks. Some shows do appear more crisp than others but I think that's just the way they shoot/transfer their shows to HD. Perhaps that's what you're seeing?

There are a few of us on the forum from CT. Maybe they'll chime in as well.

Andy

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
As has been stated there are 2 types of antennas..VHF for tv stations 13 and below and UHF for stations 14 and above. Analog and digital are methods of transmitting the signal and they can be sent in VHF and UHF. Most are now being sent in UHF because, to date, most VHF stations are still using the stations 2-13. Of course, this could change in the future. For now, unless you have a digital station in your area on VHF, you could use a highly directional UHF antenna. . You chose one for the station that is the farthest from your home. You should be able to receive..if you have a reasonably good 'line of sight' between antenna and transmitting tower..stations that are up to 50 miles away without a few if any dropouts and/or 'blocking'. Reception is possible up to 60 miles with very good equipment. A rotator is needed to zero in on the dignal. A few degrees can make a difference. Do a search as there is lots of info on this Forum. Happy Viewing.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
There is very little difference in the 'quality' of HD programming. If you see lesser quality it is probably not HD>

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.