AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, would I be correct in assuming using a software solution (CyberLink PowerDVD) to decode DTS-HD MA from Blu Rays and other .m2ts files on PC then passing on the audio to 5.1 speakers through SPDIF or even analogue should (theoretically at least) give me the same sound as if I were to pass the audio through HDMI to an amp and then have the amp decode the sound?

Secondly, I am currently not getting any sound when playing files with HD Audio in PowerDVD however it does work on certain files in VLC or WMP w CCCP. Clearly the hardware is capable of playing it to some degree so does PowerDVD only allow passing of HD Audio such as DTS-HD MA to the amp through HDMI or is it capable of decoding the audio and playing it through whatever speaker config and I've stuffed something up along the way?

For whatever reason WMP plays the video for all the files I have with DTS-HD MA or DD TrueHD but only some of the accompanying audio tracks play, when they do there is a lot of popping going on.

VLC plays more of the Audio tracks without popping but can't seem to simultaneously play smooth video.

PowerDVD plays the video but none of the audio.

I was lead to believe that PowerDVD was meant to be one of the highest rated media players for HD Video and Audio. Can anyone comment on their experiences with the software?

Regards

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
S/PDIF (both optical and coax) supports only lossy 5.1 multichannel audio (DTS or Dolby) and lossless stereo PCM. If you want lossless audio you have to use HDMI or analog connections.

If you're using S/PDIF, the need to convert the audio encoding might be the root of your problems.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
From what I have read, PowerDVD HD does not have a very good dts decoder. Use Total Media Theater. In either case if you have media with the Cinavia audio mark you will need to be running AnyDVD HD in the back ground or use an unlicensed player such as MPC-HC.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
SPDIF only supports lossy compression of DD or DTS, not lossless. Also limited to 2-ch PCM if you decode at the PC.

Analog output requires your PC to decode everything.

HDMI is the only way to output digital HD Audio in either bitbstream or decoded LPCM 7.1.

To bitstream through HDMI, you need a video card that is capable of bitstreaming DTS-HD and TrueHD.

As pointed above, PowerDVD may not properly decode all HD Audio formats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.