AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching around this board for a few weeks, looking for answers but have yet to discover any.

Here's what I've got:

Samsung LN-T4071

Core2 Duo 6750

Sapphire ATI 2600 XT

LG GCC-H20L BD/HD combo

Vista MCE

PowerDVD 7.3.3319f

Here's my problem: HD/BD content has far too much noise. I understand that film is grainy, especially using high-speed film. However, certain shady bits are extremely grainy. Sometimes, the picture is absolutely perfect, and then the next scene is noisy. It's high-res noise, but tends to look more like video noise than film grain, especially since it seems to be in different colors at times. This is especially prevalent in the BBC Planet Earth series, and h.264 rips actually look better (except for some mild banding).

Perhaps I can follow up with some screen captures after I get AnyDVD HD installed.

The posts that I've read in my searches seem to indicate that changing the AVIVO denoise settings in Vista's registry doesn't have any effect. Any success stories out there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear this. I've got almost a duplicate of your setup. I've got the 46" Sammy 4665 and use XP sp2. Anyway, you might want to post some examples because I cannot recall seeing graininess in HD content, whether HD or BD. I did have to upgrade my OEM PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra twice plus the driver for my HD 2600XT. I do confess that my sample is limited, Bourne Ultimatum, Babel, Spidey3, Blood diamond and Tailor from Panama. Of those, Spidey 3 gave me the most headaches. It wasn't until the HD2600XT got upgraded that I saw something besides just the intro and scene selections....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the same problem with my Nvidia 8600GTS playing King Kong HD DVD. It turned out that it was due to Nvidia's edge enhancement and Noise reduction filters. I had them up all the way. I turned them off and poof no more grainyness. Make sure there are no filters on in the ATI control pannel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To lakkadakka,

Were you able to resolve the problem you were having with noise on playback of Planet Earth hd content?

I am experiencing exactly the same problem but on a different configuration (below). Planet Earth in some dark/shady scenes is very grainy/noisy. In most other scenes its perfect. The Noise Reduction slider in the NVIDIA control panel does not appear to have any effect on reducing this noise.

Samsung LNt4061F or Dell 2408WFP

Gigabyte 8600GTS

LG GGC-H20L

Vista MCE

ArcSoft TotalMedia

The config that I am testing on is based on NVIDIA and Arcsoft while your config is based on AMD and PowerDVD.

Its surprising that the same noise problem appears in both these configurations given that they are based on different video and hd playback solutions. Just speculating, but could it possibly be a problem in Vista itself and not in either the video driver or playback app?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or insights that you might have as to what might be causing the noise, and what can be done to reduce it.

Regards,

-argb

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakkadakka /forum/post/13000422

Here's my problem: HD/BD content has far too much noise. I understand that film is grainy, especially using high-speed film. However, certain shady bits are extremely grainy. Sometimes, the picture is absolutely perfect, and then the next scene is noisy. It's high-res noise, but tends to look more like video noise than film grain, especially since it seems to be in different colors at times. This is especially prevalent in the BBC Planet Earth series, and h.264 rips actually look better (except for some mild banding).

If it's greenish noise in dark areas, you may simply need to lower the brightness (with the codec, not the monitor) so that it clips blacker than black.

Also note that Planet Earth is VERY noisy and a poor test disc. About half the scenes have snow-like noise all over them, and many low light scenes have zoomed multi-pixel noise.

H.264 rips may look better because the lower bit rate (and denoising algorithms often used) smooth out all this noise and give the image a cleaner, if softer and less detailed, appearance.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by argb444 /forum/post/13964309

I am experiencing exactly the same problem but on a different configuration (below). Planet Earth in some dark/shady scenes is very grainy/noisy. In most other scenes its perfect.

Don't worry, that's just the source. Read my post above.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm88 /forum/post/13964900

Don't worry, that's just the source. Read my post above.

Ok thanks. That would explain why the problem appears on completely different hardware/software configurations.

With regard to the nVidia noise reduction filter, it does appear to work somewhat, but it did not take effect until I rebooted the machine. Changing the filter percentage while a BD video is playing had no effect at all.

Lastly, can you recommend some BD disks that are good for PQ testing?

-argb

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the exact same problem with planet earth on BD, so it's good to see that it wasn't a faulty set of discs.

I've found Troy has excellent picture quality and all of the recent Pixar titles (Cars, Ice Age 2, Ratatouille etc)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by argb444 /forum/post/13967980

Lastly, can you recommend some BD disks that are good for PQ testing?

Check out the Tier 0 and 1 discs on the BD rating thread .

If noise is your concern, try a fully animated film, as these aren't shot on film at all and won't have grain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts