AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to HD viewing. I just bought an HD flat panel TV. When I go to the HD channels, most of them are 4:3 with black bars on the right and left. The ones that fill the 40 inch screen are great, but these black bars are driving me nuts. BTW even some of the HD shows go to black bars during commercials. I have a philips 40PFL7505D/F7 TV and watch Brighthouse cable networks on the Space Coast of Florida. Will this ever improve?

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
Seems odd. Sure, some content will have the bars of the original was created prior to the HDTV standard. Which channels in particular are the problem? Are you sure you are seeing the HD version? Often the same program is provided in both SD and HD, and you may have to reprogram your cable box to show the HD ones.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
The black bars are for non-HD material. As you noticed, many commercials are not shot in HD. Just grin and bear it (IMO, it's better with the black bars than stretched). Most primetime shows are HD, which should fill your screen w/o the bars.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamanfl /forum/post/20818089

I am new to HD viewing. I just bought an HD flat panel TV. When I go to the HD channels, most of them are 4:3 with black bars on the right and left. The ones that fill the 40 inch screen are great, but these black bars are driving me nuts. BTW even some of the HD shows go to black bars during commercials. I have a philips 40PFL7505D/F7 TV and watch Brighthouse cable networks on the Space Coast of Florida. Will this ever improve?

Almost everthing on HD channels is widescreen. What channels are you getting mostly 4:3? This is not typical.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
This doesn't happen much with cable or sat HD channels but is very common on local OTA broadcasts. A lot of local stations run mostly syndicated programming outside of prime time--much of this programming isn't available in HD. Also many locals don't have the equipment to broadcast syndicated programming in HD even if the show is available in HD. Typically if a local is doing the local news in HD they can show syndicated stuff in HD, if not they'll run the SD feed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.