AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. I have a question regarding about six Hitachi 50V500. Currently we have these installed in a restaurant and they are getting reception through cable.

I called the cable company and asked what it would take to upgrade them to HD Cable. He said it depended on if it had a built in tuner and cable card slot. I found out by looking at it that it DOES have a cable card slot.

He then told me we would have to buy a card for each tv and to find out how much they are. That way we won't have to buy a receiver for each set. The only problem is.....I can't find a cable card for these TVs anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction? Is it a Hitachi specific card or are there universal cards?

If there is some other way to hook these up using cable and not renting the boxes I would be interested to know. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Peja

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
I looked up your display on the web, and it looks like it does not have a built-in HD tuner (so you cannot get HD broadcasts over the air with an antenna) or a cable card slot (what you saw is a photo memory card slot). That means you only have 2 ways of getting HD broadcasts with that display: 1) rent an HD cable box for each set, or 2) buy an HD tuner, connect an antenna to it, and hook up all the displays to it. Another alternative is to look into switching from cable to satellite.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I apparently lied to you Bill.....I should know better than to look at the operating guide when trying to find a model number of a machine. Instead on the back of one of the TVs it says 60V715.

I am not sure if that helps out anymore or not. Sorry about that.

Also I am including a few pictures that I took with my cell phone.....sorry I know it is bad quality but I did not have a digital camera handy. This shows that slot I was looking at that says CableCARD with an arrow to the slot. Is this still the photo slot or is it a CableCARD.....if it is a photo slot they really need to label these things better.

Once again sorry for the confusion.

Peja

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.