AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Is there something I'm doing wrong or just don't understand?

I have Comcast HD box (Motorola) and there are vertical and horizontal bars on the screen surrounding the picture, and only wide vertical grey bars when the panel is in Zoom aspect mode.

So, here is my question- isn't HD picture supposed to be 16:9 and to fill the WHOLE screen? And if yes, please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

The connection b/w cable box and panel is S-video ( I'm using component for DVD). Please, help. Regards.

·
Registered
22 Posts
S-video can only transmit 480i - so the cable box is converting your

HD feed into standard NTSC!

You must use the component connection between the HD cable box

and the Plasma TV.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yeah..EXACTLY what he said!

If ya wanna view HD, ya gotta use your component connection!

There are 3 component outputs on your STB. They should be labeled "Y" "Pb" "Pr". They may say "Cb" & "Cr", same thing.

These outputs connect to the corresponding inputs of your panny.

Now, the outputs of your Comcast Box are probably RCA connectors, and the inputs of the panny are BNC connectors.

No worries. Just buy 3 BNC adapters to connect to the ends of the RCA plugs, that connect to the panny component inputs.

These cost $5 [email protected] Rat Shack, and you're good to go!!

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
74 Posts
And since you are probably already using your compnent connectors for your DVD player, you can get a cable that has a connector that plugs into the PC Input at one end and has 3 RCA plugs at the other end. Using that cable you can use the PC Input as a second component input (but you have to change the input settings in the Panny's menu to Component from RGB).

Also, you need to adjust your set top box so that it outputs the HD signal on its component outputs. That process varies from box to box. On the SA-3250HD box I have, you tell it what modes your HDTV is capable of displaying. You also have to select one of the HD modes in the STB settings menu or select the upconvert or "pass-though" mode to allow the STB to output an HD signal.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I found that using an A/V switcher from Rat Shack adds another component input (actually 3) without the hassle of a PC input. It's $25, and is easier to use with a great PQ.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 3.1415926 pi
I found that using an A/V switcher from Rat Shack adds another component input (actually 3) without the hassle of a PC input. It's $25, and is easier to use with a great PQ.

Cheers, VB
The PC input didn't seem like a hassle to me. $20 cable, no need to go over and work a switch. Might as well use that input if it's not hooked to a PC. This input when set to component performs just like the BNC one.

Bill

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well, to each his own.

What ever works best for you.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the responses. I switched the cables- component to cable box, still have vertical bars, no horizontal bars though. Also can't seem to access settings menu in the cable box. Need some help here. My box is Comcast Motorola. There is no model number on the face panel. Regards.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maril555
Thank you for the responses. I switched the cables- component to cable box, still have vertical bars, no horizontal bars though. Also can't seem to access settings menu in the cable box. Need some help here. My box is Comcast Motorola. There is no model number on the face panel. Regards.
To access the setting menu:

Turn cable box off

Press Menu button

Turn cable box on

You will see screen format - change to 16:9 - that should fix your bars

Set res to 1080i

Try different analog res settings. I leave mine at 480i.

The cable guy did not do his job if he left you in this state.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.