AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a second HDTV for the basement as well as getting a Comcast HD STB which brings several questions. What signal format does the box put out on SD as well as HD - is it 480i,480p or ?? I am looking at a Sony KP-43HT 4:3 RPTV but I have noticed that the picture from standard cable sources is fairly poor in quality. Since most viewing is standard cable on this set, image quality fro these sources is important. On DVD or HD signals this set's picture is very good in the 16:9 mode. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
32 Posts
I have the Motorola 5100.. via the service menu you can pretty much adjust what it outputs at.. all the way from 480i-1080i.. I have it set to output 720p on HD stuff and 480p on 4:3 material :)

· Registered
62 Posts
At least in our area, the Motorola 5100 puts out a real lousy signal at the lower analog channels no matter how you tweak it. Most people have a separate analog input into the antenna jack for the lower channels.

· Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eafenyes
At least in our area, the Motorola 5100 puts out a real lousy signal at the lower analog channels no matter how you tweak it. Most people have a separate analog input into the antenna jack for the lower channels.
This is totally correct, but I can add more info for someone not familiar with the DCT... The box has component, composite and coax outputs.

If you tune an analog channel while using the component output, there is a noticably worse picture than if you tune the analog using the composite out. Its something to do with how the 5100 converts the analog signals to component. It's an easy workaround, but you're stuck switching inputs on the TV when going between digital and analog viewing.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
If you've got the SA 3100HD, it scales everything to 1080i on the component out. Does a really nice job of it in my opinion, but robs you of the ability to zoom and change aspect on the TV - my TV just locks to 16:9 with the 1080i signal, so I have 4:3 with black sidebars on everything but HD channels.

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.