AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is the wrong section for this question, I apologize, if the mods need to move it I thank you in advance!

Here's my issues. I currently have a a setup that is using coax through the wall to go from my Verizon STB located in a closet to my Sony TV located in the wall above a gas insert fireplace. It uses three wires for the component input video. When purchasing the new TV we noticed a lot of choppy pictures when watching HD. We tried a long run of HDMI cable from room to room instead of the component video and now, no choppy screen.

The problem is that I can not run the long run of HDMI through the wall apparently. I tried attaching the HDMI cable to one of the current coax cables and for what ever reason something is stuck on the TV side. I have the HDMI as far as the basement from the STB in the closet but it is getting stuck going around the fireplace.

Short of opening up some walls, what other options do I have to get the HDMI cable or signal to the TV?

Just to put things in perspective, the fireplace is flush to the interior wall, thus protruding from the exterior of the house. The cabinet is above the fireplace, likewise protruding from the exterior of the house. Therefore the cable must go up the basement exterior wall, then away from the house (following the bottom of the fireplace) then run up the back of the fireplace and into the plate on the wall to the TV. This is where things are stuck. I just can't pull any of the three coax wires used for component video out of the wall, either way from the TV.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimdtr77
Short of opening up some walls, what other options do I have to get the HDMI cable or signal to the TV?
As a last resort, you might want to consider a good wireless HDMI sender.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
From what I've seen the HD wireless units are expensive and only good for line of sight i.e. HD source in the front of the room and projector in rear. I tried one and only had to go thru two walls w/o success.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
You could try to fish an HDMI cable without an end and do this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1284801

Or you could use HDMI to Cat5 baluns, which in most cases require (2) Cat5 cables. There are a number of options in this category, try the AVS HDMI Forum for more details.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/20808922

You could try to fish an HDMI cable without an end and do this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1284801

Or you could use HDMI to Cat5 baluns, which in most cases require (2) Cat5 cables. There are a number of options in this category, try the AVS HDMI Forum for more details.

Do you have the "rights" to move this thread there by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker /forum/post/20808972

Did you try running the cable in the opposite direction, starting at the TV and going to the cable box?

I tried that, I couldn't get the wire around the fireplace exterior wall and then into the basement.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimdtr77 /forum/post/20809158

Do you have the "rights" to move this thread there by any chance?

Yes, but I'm going to leave it here, since you are looking into a number of options.

The topic I linked is dedicated to terminating an HDMI cable, and if you are technically inclined, it can be done. First you'd need to have the HDMI cable with the end cut off to see if it can be fished to where you want it.

The Cat5 balun solution can work also, assuming you can fish the two Cat5 cables where you want them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:

I do in fact have 3 Cat 5 lines in place. So I do have aplan, but I am getting confused with the IR Hub and how to hook it up. Here's what I got so far.

CAT5 Blue is the line used for the IR hub. At the TV end there is the optical that plugs into the cat 5 Blue (line color) via an adapter of some sorts and a 3.5mm jack.

At the opposite end of the blue Cat 5 is the hub with the blasters etc. The Cat 5 lines are stripped and plugged into the power (2 wires), and IR (2 wires), ground (remainder of wires).

So, my plan was to purchase http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage It seems simple, just plug the 2 other cat 5 lines (grey and red) into each face plate. Plug the optical at the tv into the wall plate. My question is what to do in the coset where the other faceplates are. There is a picture of the everything below. Do I just plug a 3.5mm into the other wall plate and into the HUB where it says IR RCVR and call it a day?

·
Registered
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimdtr77 /forum/post/20838993

UPDATE:

I do in fact have 3 Cat 5 lines in place. So I do have a plan...

So, my plan was to purchase http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage It seems simple, just plug the 2 other cat 5 lines (grey and red) into each face plate.

That product may work, but I've had issues with unpowered HDMI products. The theory is that the wall plates will use the voltage on the HDMI cable. If it were me, I'd use a self powered system. Typically they have an AC adapter that provides the power for each end of the HDMI connections.

Quote:
Plug the optical at the tv into the wall plate.

You mean HDMI, right?

As for the IR system, I would have to look at the specs to see how it is supposed to be set up. I'll try tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Lets go back to the original idea of snaking the HDMI cable.

It is possible that those coax cables are tie-wrapped together in the wall, thus giving you problems snaking the wire. Is there any other wire you can use as a pull line?

I would do this as a test. First attach a clean drag line ( pull rope) onto one of the coaxes or another cable. See if you can cleanly pull it out. If you can, then I would try re-snaking the HDMI cable with the pull line you've just ran through the wall ( along with another drag-line for the ride) and see if it comes through.

In that first picture above with the 5 coax cables, where is that? In the closet?

·
Registered
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier /forum/post/20848881

Seems like a waste of time, if like the OP said, the passage is not possible. The Cat5 solution if properly implemented works fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/20848517

That product may work, but I've had issues with unpowered HDMI products. The theory is that the wall plates will use the voltage on the HDMI cable. If it were me, I'd use a self powered system. Typically they have an AC adapter that provides the power for each end of the HDMI connections.

You mean HDMI, right?

As for the IR system, I would have to look at the specs to see how it is supposed to be set up. I'll try tomorrow.

Actually I meant the optic that for the IR that you point the remote at. Again, I'm probably using the wrong terminology.

Interesting to hear about the powered wallplates.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier /forum/post/20848881

It is possible that those coax cables are tie-wrapped together in the wall, thus giving you problems snaking the wire. Is there any other wire you can use as a pull line?

I would do this as a test. First attach a clean drag line ( pull rope) onto one of the coaxes or another cable. See if you can cleanly pull it out. If you can, then I would try re-snaking the HDMI cable with the pull line you've just ran through the wall ( along with another drag-line for the ride) and see if it comes through.

In that first picture above with the 5 coax cables, where is that? In the closet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/20849580

Seems like a waste of time, if like the OP said, the passage is not possible. The Cat5 solution if properly implemented works fine.

I have to agree. The picture shown above of the wall plate with the bundle coming through is above the fire place. It is a bump out wall for the fire place alone. I found out from the original installer that because it is an exterior wall the cables are stapled to the studs every 12" to meet town code. There fore, there is no way to fish the new cable through.

I'm hoping to figure out something with the Cat 5 idea and the plates.

·
Registered
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimdtr77 /forum/post/20850889

Actually I meant the optic that for the IR that you point the remote at.

IR receiver.

Quote:
Interesting to hear about the powered wallplates.

A better choice than the ones that run off the HDMI voltage.

·
Registered
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimdtr77 /forum/post/20851392

Are they floating around Monoprice? I'll have to look around. but then how would you power them in the wall plate?

I don't know they would necessarily be wall plates, but the once I've worked with are small metal or plastic boxes, approximately 3" x 1" x 2", with two Cat5 connectors on one end, an HDMI connector on the other, with a small DC power connector on one end or the side.

Here's an example I found, but since the ones I've used are commercial products, I can't recommend anything specifically. I can recommend going to the AVS HDMI forum and asking there, I'm sure you'll get lots of solid recommendations.

http://www.milestek.com/p-16678-hdmi...r-set-50m.aspx

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/20853002

I don't know they would necessarily be wall plates, but the once I've worked with are small metal or plastic boxes, approximately 3" x 1" x 2", with two Cat5 connectors on one end, an HDMI connector on the other, with a small DC power connector on one end or the side.

Here's an example I found, but since the ones I've used are commercial products, I can't recommend anything specifically. I can recommend going to the AVS HDMI forum and asking there, I'm sure you'll get lots of solid recommendations.

http://www.milestek.com/p-16678-hdmi...r-set-50m.aspx

Thank you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.