AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone through some basic research on HD Cable and Direct TV. I'm leaning toward Comcast Digital Cable (SF Bay Area)

I have a few questions that I was hoping anyone can answer

1) Are all channels that usually broadcast OTA HD also available on HD Cable?

2) Are there usually more HD content available through HD Cable than OTA HD?

3) I understand that Comcast provides an HD Capable Digital Cable Box for HD Ready displays - does this mean that I don't need my set's external HD Receiver? (Sony SATHD200) If so, I'm assuming that Comcast provides a similar box except that it only decodes digital cable signals and outputs through its component video outputs

4) Can my SAT200 be used to view digital cable?

THanks !

·
Registered
23,234 Posts
1) Depends on your area, stations and local cable provider. In my area, we lack some locals via cable.

2) Depends... if so, it will usually be premium channels (HBO, Showtime) which obviously cost more per month. Some may also charge for ESPN-HD, Discovery Theater, etc.

3) Most cable companies 'rent' you an HD cable STB for ~$7 per month. If you no longer want/need OTA or Satellite, you will no longer need the Sony.

Yes... the cable STB will only decode analog and digital cable, no OTA.

4) No... digital cables uses a different modulation (QAM) from OTA (8VSB).

Call Comcast or check their website for HD program availability in your area for cable and www.titantv.com for digital stations/channels for OTA.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Ratman. I'll look into it. I don't really have a need for it yet - still waiting for my new TV. However, I don't want to rule out Direct TV until I've determined which one would best fit my needs.

EL

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Elbert-

I'm a Comcast customer in the Bay Area and love it! Here are the HD channels we get:

ABC

NBC

PBS (via KQED)

HBO

Showtime

ESPN

and now...

INHD1

INHD2

The only OTA network channel we don't get is CBS...supposedly Comcast is working on a deal. We also don't get the FOX Widscreen channel either -- that's because KTVU still needs to negotiate with FOX Corporate.

I pay $5 a month for the rental of the HD converter box which also doubles as the cable coverter for SD transmissions. Going the Comcast route was much cheaper in terms of up-front cost (don't have to pay for the equipment).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found out my next set will have "clear QAM" capability in it's built in ATSC tuner..(Sony KDF-70XBR950) I don't know how it's going to work, but I hope that, in the set up, it would be fairly user friendly.

After calling Comcast, the Customer Service person said that a tech needs to come out to install the HD equipment and that I need the manual for the TV Set. I wondering if it's truly that difficult to set up and if a phone cable is needed.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PorscheT
Fender,

You pay $5 a month for the box from comcast... so what package did you order? Are you on digital or analog plan? Thanks
I'm on the Silver plan -- I think it's $61/month. I believe if you get the one right below the Silver you'll also get all of the above channels.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Elbert
I just found out my next set will have "clear QAM" capability in it's built in ATSC tuner..(Sony KDF-70XBR950) I don't know how it's going to work, but I hope that, in the set up, it would be fairly user friendly.

After calling Comcast, the Customer Service person said that a tech needs to come out to install the HD equipment and that I need the manual for the TV Set. I wondering if it's truly that difficult to set up and if a phone cable is needed.
It should be very simple to set up. I have no idea why they require someone to install it...all they do is connect it from the wall to the cable box and from the cable box to the TV (using Comcast-supplied component cables). Note: Comcast doesn't provide an optical audio cable to go from the cable box to your digital receiver so you'll probably want to pick one of those up if you want to have 5.1 surround.

·
Registered
797 Posts
> I have no idea why they require someone to install it...

What I've been told is that the primary job of the Service Rep is to make sure the Customer has the necessary HDTV equipment. In other words, they want to make sure folks don't try to get HD pictures on non-HDTVs and "claim foul". Some Cable Complanies let folks just pick up the box. My local Comcast (in Pleasanton, CA) - like Foster City apparently - do not.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
edmc- now that I think about it, I remember hearing the same thing too. It just seems like a very big waste of money to send a tech out to _every_ person who's subscribing to HD. I would think it would be easier to just get a list of every HDTV model TV (I'm sure it's on the Internet somewhere) and just ask the customer on phone what model TV they have. If it's not on their list, then they can send someone out. It would probably prevent 90% of the HD house calls. Then they can spend more time/money getting new HD feeds!! :D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wke39
Is Comcast offering HD cable in Foster City, CA. ? The last time I checked they said no.

Cheers

:D
Look a couple of lines up at Elbert's post. His location says Foster City so I'm guessing it is available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.