Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 HD Calendar - ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, HBO & SHO

I am anxious to participate in the compilation of a comprehensive program guide such as this within a dedicated "Program Calendar" at the AVS Forum. A team should be assembled and granted access to add "public events" on the calendar for this purpose. It would be nice if Birthdays could be placed on a separate calendar.

·
Registered
599 Posts
this is ABSURD - IMHO

slow

ads

pop-ups

and outright ugly

can't we all just get along - don't slap the Atlanta HDTV group in the face like that - their Calendar is awesome

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
absurd. i said it once and i'll say it again, start a web page hardrock! it aint hard and you have everyone's support.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,

I'm not talking about creating an Excite calendar. That's only an example - albeit a poor one.

My idea is to add a daily program schedule (with links) directly to the AVS calendar.

I have no desire to diminish the efforts of the dedicated souls at atlantadtv.org - however, I am motivated to implement a comprehensive alternative solution without further ado.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jaymer
can't we all just get along - don't slap the Atlanta HDTV group in the face like that - their Calendar is awesome
The AtlantaDTV format looks OK, but today's schedule, for example, has no listings for HBO or HDNet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclone

The AtlantaDTV format looks OK, but today's schedule, for example, has no listings for HBO or HDNet.
It's still a work in progress as it was just released last week! :) The problem with HDnet is they only give us program info for today & the next. Until we designate people to help update the calendar on a day to day basis we will be a little behind. ;)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hardrock -

I appreciate all your work. I have used your info on many occasions. If you develop something I'm on board. However, for us left coasters make sure it allows for time zones. I hate always trying to figure out the HBO stuff, especially when I look in a hurry.

ripster

·
Registered
304 Posts
I seriously considered using Excite's calendar feature, even after the schedule.atlantadtv.org site was well on its way. Then I noticed this where the banner ad should be:

Calendar, To Do List, Notepad, Reminders, and Sync will be shut down in a few weeks. Your Address Book will continue to be available. We regret the end of these services and hope you continue to use our products. (Sep. 21, 2001)

The AtlantaDTV schedule is still a work in progress, and the software is being reorganized to facilitate multiple individuals submitting updates. I don't work on it during the 50% of the time when my kids are at my house, so it goes in fits and starts. Look for updated (and ongoing?) schedule updates on Wednesday (Halloween).

Right now the process for submitting schedule updates requires a bit more than type-and-mail. I am working with another person who is generating the schedule information for HBO-HD. This can be done as rarely as once a month as I understand HBO schedules (I only have OTA myself). I'm looking from someone to take on SHO-HD updates now. I have corresponded with HDNet and they plan to get a longer range schedule available at a later date. Until they do it will be difficult to keep "tomorrow" accurate but we will try. I am looking for a primary source which confirms the format of FOX broadcasts as we would like to display the 480p as "enhanced" TV.

Anyone who wants to get started helping will need an XML editor. The editor should constrain the entries to those in the DTD file which defines the allowable structure. I recommend getting the 1.3.1 JRE Java Runtime Environment from java.sun.com and also the Merlot XML editor (1.1 beta) from http://www.merlotxml.org/ and get all that working. All this software is free, but you can use another if you prefer it. I will send the DTD data definition file to anyone who requests it and a sample schedule so that you can see how the process works. Starting November 1 we will become more and more interested in finding a coordinated and collaborative way to get this going.

As to the west coast time factor, incorporating that would be pending the popularity of the site. If it gets a lot of visibility and there is good support for schedule updating, I think we can make that happen (it would have a different URL is all). I would need someone to confer with as to the exact nature of the differences for the particular networks.

Please note: The purpose of the schedule at AtlantaDTV.org is to draw attention to the DTV introduction at the main site. Our hope is that those who have DTV (and HDTV) will visit and become familiar with it. Then they will point the less well informed to this introduction and the site overall will serve to spread the word and promote DTV.

To help with schedule updates send mail to:

[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.