AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Canon HF11 HD camcorder that I'm starting to use and get familiar with. Indoors its great. But I'm finding outdoors, even with some overcast, that the LCD screen just is too dim to easily see what is going on. Makes me wish I got a model with a traditional viewfinder. I adjusted brightness on LCD display between minimum to maximum and didn't find that made much of a difference. Any suggestions? Could I have a defective LCD? Or is that just how the LCDs are these days?

·
Registered
205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/15444823

Just got a Canon HF11 HD camcorder that I'm starting to use and get familiar with. Indoors its great. But I'm finding outdoors, even with some overcast, that the LCD screen just is too dim to easily see what is going on. Makes me wish I got a model with a traditional viewfinder. I adjusted brightness on LCD display between minimum to maximum and didn't find that made much of a difference. Any suggestions? Could I have a defective LCD? Or is that just how the LCDs are these days?

yes, this is how all LCDs are (not defective) - they wash out in sunlight. I believe this is the MAJOR scenario when folks use the viewfinder...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i actually prefer an LCD rather than a eye-piece viewfinder...

i hated using the eye piece..i always felt out of touch using one...and hope they just make these LCDs bigger and phase out those viewfinders....i never had an issue even in daylight....they even sell LCD hoods if you must.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
all lcd suck in bright light......nothing can be done about that and strapping on a hood that impairs it's function is not always an option

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai /forum/post/15450346

all lcd suck in bright light......nothing can be done about that and strapping on a hood that impairs it's function is not always an option

how does a hood impair its function? Not looking for a debate just wondering how something to reduce glare will reduce its operational value? I certainly think it improves its function by being able to see in sunlight...

i do agree that LCDs in direct sunlight are not ideal BUT if thats all you have to use you have no choice but to improve your options

·
Registered
177 Posts

Quote:

Makes me wish I got a model with a traditional viewfinder.

I adjusted brightness on LCD display between minimum to maximum and didn't find that made much of a difference.

Any suggestions?

1. Somehow the consumer has been convinced that they don't need Electronic View Finders, or even optical ones. Like its a sin to hold the camera up to your eye? [gripe off]

2. Some LCD's are better than others, but sometimes you just can't see with them in bright sunlight.

3. You can try a hood. Even a cardboard one will work.

Rich

·
Registered
33,827 Posts

Quote:

This is why I've constantly recommended a camcorder with a viewfinder. There's nothing wrong with yours, it's inherent in the technology. Even the larger prosumer camcorders are often purchased with large sunscreens that go around the LCD to shield it from light.

·
Registered
164 Posts
To those of you that think that viewfinders are a wast of time - I guess you must do most of your filming in "simple" environments. I do most of my filming on travels. There is just no way that you can hold a camcorder in your hands in front of you when you are in a moving jeep or bus and get as steady a picture as the one where you are looking through the viewfinder with the camcorder held against your head. Your body helps cushion the shaking. I like my Sony CX-7 but the video I get with it in such situations is substantially shakier than what I used to get.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
How about when I video my kid play instruments on stage and I am in a crowd and dark.

Least I want is to shine the LCD in dark to distract others and let everyone see what I am recording.

There is no substitude for a viewfinder when you would need it.

·
Registered
691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM /forum/post/15481685

How about when I video my kid play instruments on stage and I am in a crowd and dark.

Least I want is to shine the LCD in dark to distract others and let everyone see what I am recording.

There is no substitude for a viewfinder when you would need it.

Boy, CaspianM, you got that right. It is very annoying when someone sitting in front of you in a dark auditorium lights up the LCD on their camcorder while shooting. Rude would be a better term.

Viewfinders are a must with me while on location.

Mike

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The top models of all manafactures will ALWAYS have viewfinders,for people who use reading glasses they are a must to save putting them on and off plus getting acurate focus outdoors using the lcd is something near impossible.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus /forum/post/15485126

The top models of all manafactures will ALWAYS have viewfinders,for people who use reading glasses they are a must to save putting them on and off plus getting acurate focus outdoors using the lcd is something near impossible.

"Top models" as in consumer or pro? The latest batch of consumer camcorders from Canon are severely lacking in the viewfinder department.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 /forum/post/15453356

how does a hood impair its function? Not looking for a debate just wondering how something to reduce glare will reduce its operational value? I certainly think it improves its function by being able to see in sunlight...

i do agree that LCDs in direct sunlight are not ideal BUT if thats all you have to use you have no choice but to improve your options

a lot of cameras use trouch screen not to mention those zoom buttons on the side of the lcd...kinda awkward to use the trouchscreen if the hood is on the screen.........

·
Registered
1,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVboy /forum/post/15485437

"Top models" as in consumer or pro? The latest batch of consumer camcorders from Canon are severely lacking in the viewfinder department.

Sadly yes most of canons latest range are lacking a vf,i meant the top of the range consumer models.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus /forum/post/15485578

Sadly yes most of canons latest range are lacking a vf,i meant the top of the range consumer models.

I wouldn't say "sadly" at all, it just flat-out sucks. I can't get a hard drive based one because of elevation restrictions. Flash memory only would be ideal, but none with a viewfinder. I might just have to buy the HV30 and call it good. I had no idea it would be so difficult to find something with a viewfinder that will work everywhere I take it. None of the upper range of Canon have viewfinders, which is really unfortunate since they seem to get the best reviews.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
so we all agree VFs are good.....

·
Registered
33,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus /forum/post/15485126

Damn the aging process!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mka /forum/post/15481620

To those of you that think that viewfinders are a wast of time - I guess you must do most of your filming in "simple" environments. I do most of my filming on travels. There is just no way that you can hold a camcorder in your hands in front of you when you are in a moving jeep or bus and get as steady a picture as the one where you are looking through the viewfinder with the camcorder held against your head. Your body helps cushion the shaking. I like my Sony CX-7 but the video I get with it in such situations is substantially shakier than what I used to get.

So if you want a viewfinder, what's your best options, a Canon HV30?

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ3118 /forum/post/15486721

so we all agree VFs are good.....

No, it's a tradeoff. Adding a VF adds cost, weight, and size. The reason most new models lack a VF is for these reasons.

I have the opposite problem. The LCD on my camcorder cracked (insuffiently protected in checked luggage) and is unusable. Thus I have been using the VF exclusively and desperately wished I had the LCD on a number of occasions such as when videoing while skiing (VF in the eye is obviously problematic) and videoing a baseball game where following a hit ball is far easier with the LCD.

i am about to get another avchd camcorder (probably the HF-11 unless something better comes out imminently) and will deal with the LCD's usability in bright light.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong /forum/post/15494484

So if you want a viewfinder, what's your best options, a Canon HV30?

Or the Canon HG21 if you don't think you'll ever film at altitude, or some of the Sony models if you don't mind their proprietary/useless cards.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.