AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi there,

For an RC project (autonomous vehicle) I'm looking for a camcorder (cheap one, it doesn't need to do anything fancy besides my requirements) with the following specs:

- HD Video

- High optical zoom (50+?)

- Live Video Out

When looking for such devices I found the Samsung HMX-F80 and Panasonic HC-V10 besides otheres.

But I'm not sure on the image quality of those. I've heard that there are camcorder with less optical zoom but still

a better image quality when using digital zoom to the same extent as others with optical...

I also think that a higher resolution with a slightly lower optical zoom might be the same as higher optical zoom with lower resolution? So it's hard to estimate what's better...

Can anyone recommend camcorders like that?

A plus would be if I can somehow connect a remote/trigger whatever cable so I can couple it with onboard electronics.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Chris

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

A change has taken place in the camera world. HD video, currently defined as AVCHD 1920x1080 at 60 fps, comes from almost every camera on the market. You no longer need a "camcorder" to get HD video. To get the high optical zoom, you should consider "bridge" cameras like the Panasonic FZ200 or the Sony HX300. Most cameras now also have a live mini HDMI output. A wired remote control may be harder. The trend now seems to be control via smartphone.

If it is RC video you want, don't over look the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Quadcopter. If you want a DIY "project", it obviously does not qualify!

Good luck!

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi Bill, thanks a lot for your answer!

I've got a couple of quadcopters already that carry HD cameras, however, this particular one should sit on a kind of rover/ground vehicle.

I'm aware that almost every good system camera/dslr is capable of recording video as well.

The reasons I'm looking for a camcorder are:

- usually cheaper because it doesn't need all the photo technology

- compact and lightweight (weight is a factor)

- integrated zoom lens with acceptable image quality (if you use a system camera the lenses are usually more expensive because they can also do more, etc)

I've got a DSLR as well as a Sony Nex, but I don't want to use them because the options are usually more expensive

to achieve the same result (amount of zoom, etc).

Since I need it for video only, this is not worth it.. in my opinion

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. I suggested you consider the Sony HX300 because it is compact, light weight, has very good HD image quality, has a built in lens and 50x optical zoom. It is $400. There are not many "camcorders" in that price range. And, maybe none with 50x.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The two I posted above do cost less, and have a higher optical zoom while being more compact.

However, as I've written I'm unsure about the actual quality in the end...

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Here is what some users posted on Amazon:
Quote:
Video quality says it's 720, but it certainly looks more like 480p. Don't get this camera. I only bought this because I was on pressure to find a decent camera at a very affordable price, didn't work out too well for me. I don't like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HMX-F80-Flash-Memory-Camcorder/product-reviews/B007261BNU/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0
Quote:
This is NOT an HD camcorder
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HC-V10K-Optical-Camcorder-Black/product-reviews/B0072B5CNU/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Theoretically it should be... but you're right, the image quality looks not as if it is.

For full-hd camcorders the Panasonic HC-V250 would be an option then... at least regarding compactness, compared to the bridge camera above

Edit: It seems as if the maximum optical zoom for Panasonic Camcorders is 50x - on some german sites it was specified as:

Optical Zoom: 62x (28-1740mm, 1:1.8-1:4.2) • Digital Zoom: 3000x

However, this seems to be wrong.. not sure why

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
The V250 should be better than the other two since it's a new 2014 model and it cost more.
Quote:
Product Highlights

Capture up to Full HD 1920 x 1080 Video

Backside Illuminated Image Sensor

Built-In Wi-Fi

One-Touch NFC Connectivity

50x Optical Zoom

90x Intelligent Zoom

Power O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer)

High-Sensitivity Stabilizing Gyro Sensor

Built-In Creative Control Modes

Baby Monitor Function

·
Registered
4,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfu  /t/1521539/hd-camcorder-with-high-optical-zoom#post_24455194

The two I posted above do cost less, and have a higher optical zoom while being more compact.

However, as I've written I'm unsure about the actual quality in the end...
I'm not sure I'm helping, but the only definition of "HD" for me is "AVCHD 1920x1080p60". 50x optical zoom is not common common in low priced camcorders. As jogiba wrote, the V250 should be a good choice, but it might be hard to get unless you wait.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishywishy  /t/1521539/hd-camcorder-with-high-optical-zoom#post_24458165

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/910273-REG/panasonic_hc_v520k_hc_v520_live_streaming_hd.html

this is probably the best high zoom camcorder you can get. keep in mind the spare batteries are expensive

Hi,

bsprague, Theoretically it's already HD at a lower definition, but of course you are right and since it covers a wide area I should have been more specific.

The image quality of the first cams I've listed is also less good than with full HD.

fishywishy, I think zoom-wise the HC V250 and HC V520 should be the same, I didn't compare the other features yet though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I've removed the 520 from the list, wifi might be nice for my approach - I could remote control the cam from quite a distance.

However, what is the difference between the V550 and V250? I only see this Hybrid stabilization thing to differ

·
Registered
4,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfu  /t/1521539/hd-camcorder-with-high-optical-zoom#post_24458809

I've removed the 520 from the list, wifi might be nice for my approach - I could remote control the cam from quite a distance.

However, what is the difference between the V550 and V250? I only see this Hybrid stabilization thing to differ

I only see the Advanced Level Shot Function in the V550.
Quote:
Advanced Level Shot Function and 5-Axis Hybrid O.I.S.+ with Active Mode & O.I.S. Lock

This camera features the Advanced Level Shot Function and 5-Axis Hybrid O.I.S.+ (Optical Image Stabilizer) for minimizing the effects of hand movement and tilting. The tilting correction range has been doubled for enhanced corrective performance. The setting can be adjusted to one of three levels (Off, Normal, Strong) based on your shooting conditions. When shooting in situations where tilting tends to occur or for users who are unaccustomed to shooting, the Strong setting applies a wider correction range with stronger correction for recording video that can be comfortably and easily viewed. The correction algorithm has been improved for better trackability and provides better tracking even when tilted quickly. Together with the 5-Axis Hybrid O.I.S+ optical image stabilizer, this provides powerful correction for camera movement and tilting. The camcorder provides a stabilization lock function as well.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1023344-REG/panasonic_hc_v550_full_hd_camcorder.html

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

There seems to be at least a difference in wifi.. not sure what exactly though

The only reason for the 250V would be this pan/tilt device though, would be nice

1 - 20 of 21 Posts