AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Get software and hardware for your computer that allows it to be used as a TV. With things set up that way, it'll be possible to get an audio/video feed from the satellite box. Some of those software programs will allow the computer to both record and capture images.

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/16997843

Get software and hardware for your computer that allows it to be used as a TV. With things set up that way, it'll be possible to get an audio/video feed from the satellite box. Some of those software programs will allow the computer to both record and capture images.

Care to be more specific?

I think OP is asking if there's any way to connect D* or E* receiver to computer via (a) firewire, (b) USB, or (c) ethernet, in order to actually CAPTURE digital content digitally... from D*/E* reciever to the computer, digitally.

He's not asking how to get a TV Tuner card for the computer and record OTA antenna source. He's asking if it's possible to record digital content from D*/E* to the computer... digitally.

In other words, if he was a cable subscriber and had a Motorola or Samsung family STB/DVR which has an active firewire port specifically intended to offload from STB/DVR to another firewire-enabled device (e.g. DVHS VCR, or computer via firewire for non-5C-protected programs) then for example he could use CapDVHS on the computer (with proper fireSTB or fireDVHS drivers installed, etc.) to record on the computer from the Moto STB/DVR programs which are not 5C-protected.

I believe he's asking if he can do the same thing with any of the receivers offered by D*/E*. I believe NOT... at least not without 3rd-party hardware modifications (not free) of older generation equipment. I don't know that these hardware modifications are even available on latest generation boxes.

Anyway, that is specifically one reason I have TWC instead of D*/E* for my HD... specifically so that I can archive from my Moto DCH3416 DVR to JVC DVHS tape for posterity. And for channels which are marked "copy always/freely" I can also record those programs using my computer... via firewire transfer.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/16997843

?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts