AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, kinda a noob when it comes to this stuff so dont be too hard on me.. I'm working on building a HTPC and I already have HD satellite and a 37" HDTV. What I'm interested in is recording HD off of the satellite reciever.

What cards out there are capable of this, I'm not so much interested in a tuner because I'm nowhere near any OTA HD...

Do any HD cards have Component video input or DVI input to record from a receiver?

Thanks

Ethos

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for so I dont know what to search for.. I figured someone would be able to give me some ideas..

Ethos

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, sorry about the dumb question.. I've done some searching and I realize I'm **** outta luck for recording from my satellite system using component or dvi.. :(

Ethos

·
Registered
23,130 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for not being to harsh on me.. Took me a few searches to realize what it was I needed to search for.. LOL does that make any sense?

Ethos

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos
What I'm interested in is recording HD off of the satellite reciever.

What cards out there are capable of this, I'm not so much interested in a tuner because I'm nowhere near any OTA HD...
You can get a sat tuner card that allows you to have full PVR/DVR features of live HDTV from sats, except those using 8PSK. (Bev using QPSK). Google DVB-S. They work great, and cost under $80, but require a modest PC (AMD 2Ghz or higher, 9 gig HD space per hour used for recording, and 3d video card of at least ATi 9600 type). Twinhan 1020a is a good example.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
yeah one word to google or ebay search....FTA.....I think very soon there will be ways to do this legally with the cards like europe uses that have a smartcard slot built in.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
FTA is legal (hence the "free" part). Its the other stuff (that requires smartcards) that's not to be discussed here.

Just curious, but do you have any reason to think there will be a legal/sanctioned CAM solution in the US soon or are you just guessing/hoping?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Just listening to the Gates CES Keynote and guess what...

He just announced a partnership with DTV that, it sounds like will allow recording of DTV on a Media Center PC, and thus the extenders Xbox 360.

I'm definitely going to look for details on this. I really don't like cable, but I hate set top boxes more. My "Holy Grail" of HTPCs for me, is direct recording of digital broadcast (specifically satellite and HD).

Hopefully it's what Gates' couple sentence comment makes it sound like.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
FTA is legal (hence the "free" part). Its the other stuff (that requires smartcards) that's not to be discussed here.

Just curious, but do you have any reason to think there will be a legal/sanctioned CAM solution in the US soon or are you just guessing/hoping?
just that its already legal already in other countrys and with the way htpcs are taking off.....and who said anything about requiring smartcards?....software cams

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.