AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Sony 18" dish for years. I upgraded to the elliptical dish about a 6 months ago to get NASA and such. Sony sent me a Channel Master dish.

Which 119 LNB will fit this dish so that I can get HD when the time comes?

I read somewhere but now cannot find it that certain LNB's are preferred due to cold weather issues and such. That's of concern since I'm in NJ.

Also, where should I look? OrbitSat? Other retailers?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The oval dish has either 2 or 3 LNBs which pick up 101 and 119 with 2 LNBs and 110 with the third. If you have 2 LNBs, you need a Sat C kit which has a special LNB for 110 and I've never heard of a bad brand of those. I got mine from 18inch.com but lots of places have them. You probably can get a deal from DirecTV for around $8 for a one year programming commitment rather than the over $30 a retailer would charge.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I called DirecTV. It's not bad but not optimal either. They're going to pay for a brand new 3 LNB dish (even though all I need is the third LNB) and for the installation (if the guy they send is a non-pro I'll just take the box, tell him thanks and send him on his way) and also crediting me $150 towards the purchase of a receiver.

I guess that's not too bad except that a receiver will run me AT LEAST $300 (looking at the Samsung TS160). Then I have to buy an OTA antenna (another $100) and pay another mirroring fee AND run yet another cable to the family room to hook to this temporary receiver (there's just no way I'm giving up my DirecTV Tivo receiver) so this is all being done just in hopes of getting NFL Sunday Ticket in HD this season.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.