AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cable and 2 tvs, both panasonic vieras connecting from the same cable outlet pretty much but split. I have the 32 inch which is the older one in my room. The other side of the wall is the 42 inch which is what I installed recently. Before the 42 inch the 32 inch was able to receive Local free hd channels. After installing the 42 inch the 32 inch couldn't receive the same hd channels. It says "no signal found" but the weird thing is that the 42 inch can play these same free channels while My 32 inch says theres no signal.

Need some feedback on what to do.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Need more information. What exactly was the setup before? What was installed for the new TV? Like a splitter?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
If you are on Cable TV, go to the Menu and be sure you are set for "Cable" or "CATV" mode, before doing a Channel Scan.

It might just be set for "Antenna" or "OTA".

·
Registered
17,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwwer /forum/post/20828210

I have cable and 2 tvs, both panasonic vieras connecting from the same cable outlet pretty much but split. I have the 32 inch which is the older one in my room. The other side of the wall is the 42 inch which is what I installed recently. Before the 42 inch the 32 inch was able to receive Local free hd channels. After installing the 42 inch the 32 inch couldn't receive the same hd channels. It says "no signal found" but the weird thing is that the 42 inch can play these same free channels while My 32 inch says theres no signal.

Need some feedback on what to do.

Don't quite understand your post .. ?? You are not going to get any free local HD channels with CATV .. .. so, are you using an antenna .. ??

·
Registered
17,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodore_dude /forum/post/20829018

Local HD channels are typically available with a QAM tuner.

I'm aware of that .. you still need a paid CATV feed unless you are using an antenna .. that is my question to the OP ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I have cox cable and the cable outlet was originally just ONLY going to my room. I cut into the wall before to split that cable outlet towards the other side of the wall. As for the HD channels, I'm using cox cable basic but my panasonic viera has a free HD Tuner built in so that's why my older tvs or my other hdtv doesn't have these channels. The menu settings are the same on my 32 inch and I scanned but the channel is gone AFTER I installed my other 42 inch panasonic viera in.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwwer
Well I have cox cable and the cable outlet was originally just ONLY going to my room. I cut into the wall before to split that cable outlet towards the other side of the wall. As for the HD channels, I'm using cox cable basic but my panasonic viera has a free HD Tuner built in so that's why my older tvs or my other hdtv doesn't have these channels. The menu settings are the same on my 32 inch and I scanned but the channel is gone AFTER I installed my other 42 inch panasonic viera in.
If you have verified your tv is set to CABLE and not ANT and all connections are right at the tv and you redid a channel scan and still got nothing, I would lean towards a bad cable or poorly installed fitting, a possible reversed splitter or along those lines.

Can I ask how you cut the cable and applied ends ? What tools you used?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
If you have verified your tv is set to CABLE and not ANT and all connections are right at the tv and you redid a channel scan and still got nothing, I would lean towards a bad cable or poorly installed fitting, a possible reversed splitter or along those lines.

Can I ask how you cut the cable and applied ends ? What tools you used?

What I did is cut into the wall and connected the main coax cable in the wall to a 2way cable splitter. I then connect two coax cables on both ends, one of them leading to the dining and the other to my room.

Sure it could have been a bad cable or poorly installed fitting, but this problem happened AFTER I just installed the new tv. I split the cable wire way before I installed the new tv. It was connected to my original 32 inch and to an old CRT. Then my new 42" tv came in, installed that, and my 32" stopped receiving some hd channels because of "no signal detected" while my 42" can still play the same channels just fine.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
"Then my new 42" tv came in, installed that, and my 32" stopped receiving some hd channels because of "no signal detected" while my 42" can still play the same channels just fine."

If it stopped receiving SOME but not all, I'd suspect a bad cable connector. You may be getting ingress from some source (not just OTA TV...there are plenty of different transmitters out there), that is interfering with the signals on some channels. Re-do the connectors, and make them just a tiny bit more than "finger-tight" when you screw them on. "Finger tight", plus about 1/8 to 1/4 turn, will usually do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just a questions. My coax cable for my 32inch is very long. It is I would about 10 feet. Could a longer coax cable make the signal weaker. Also I do get some of the HD channels but 3 particular HD channels that I want, I'm not receiving. Nevertheless, I'll switch out a cable and let you know.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwwer /forum/post/20835095

it's all good now. I just switched a coax cable and did another scan and got all my channels as before. Thx for help guys.

Was it the cable hooked into the CRT? It probably passed analog okay but choked on HD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/20835257

Was it the cable hooked into the CRT? It probably passed analog okay but choked on HD.

no, it was the cable from my other crt. I'm just gonna use my bad cable on this crt cuz well I don't wanna buy another cable.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
No, I mean the cable that ended up being bad. Was it originally hooked into a CRT before being hooked into the 32" HDTV?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/20835641

No, I mean the cable that ended up being bad. Was it originally hooked into a CRT before being hooked into the 32" HDTV?

No, the cable that ended up being bad was hooked to the 32" inch the whole time. It's now hooked up in my big crt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.