AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting around to setting up my channel guide. I've had the sammy 160 for a day now. I'm trying to tune to our local digital channel 10 which says it is braodcasting at 10.1 on channel 36. I cant seem to find the signal. I wonder if it is my antenna?

I am able to pick up channel 47 and dt46 (46.1) off the sane tower. I know they are at full strength. Anything that i need to get?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Channels from 2-13 are VHF. Channels 14-69 are UHF.

What kind of antenna do you have?

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you currently have a UHF only antenna, you'll have problem receiving any channels 13 or under. You will need to have either another VHF antenna and get a coupler to combine your VH and UH frequencies into the same cable or get a combined VHF/UHF array.

Unfortunately, arrays may not perform as well as specific spectrum antennas and your mileage may vary depending on your current situation.

The other confusing thing you have on your post is you say it is 10.1 on channel 36. Is it on channel 10 or channel 36? I have a feeling they are saying 10 just to keep their "branding" consistent, I would try tuning in to 36.1 for your signal.

·
Registered
644 Posts
are you doing an auto scan or manually inputting the channel? sometimes on auto scan my tv card doesn't pick up all the stations, & i have to manually enter them. if that is an option for your receiver, try entering channel 36 manually to see if it will pick it up. good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The channel is 10.1 for digital and analog channel 10. The frequency assignment is 36 via what antennaweb.org says. So that does have me a little confused. I have an outside 120" boom antenna. I cant remember the brand but i just bought it at FleetFarm in December. The tower is only 10 miles away. I get analog channel 47 from the same tower that also hosts digital channel 46.1 and frequency assignment 46.

What kind of antenna extra can i get that will hookup to my current outside antenna?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Basically channel 10.1 broadcasts on channel 36, and data in its broadcast stream tells your receiver to display 10.1. This is called remapping. If you tune to channel 36, what happens?

The other variable is that 10.1 (36) may be broadcasting at lower power. At 10 miles you should get something, unless they're at flea-level power.

Your current antenna should be fine, since it is likely both UHF and VHF.

·
Registered
305 Posts
OK, if the frequency assignment is 36, then the channel is 36.1 regardless of what the company wants to call it. Basically the x.y format is channel.subchannel. The DTV standard allows for multicasting which is what the y is for but you cannot transmit regular analog NTSC and 8.VSB DTV on the same frequency, so you can be very sure there is nothing on 10.1.

You can test your antenna's VHF capabilities by trying to receive regular analog TV channels under channel 14.

If you still can't get it on 36.1, the other possibilities are like JC said, they could be transmitting at low power. Also, they could be transmitting in an asymmetric pattern pointing away from you or they might not be transmitting at all. Many channels with DT assignments are not transmitting or not transmitting 24/7.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chadlyt
The channel is 10.1 for digital and analog channel 10. The frequency assignment is 36 via what antennaweb.org says. So that does have me a little confused. I have an outside 120" boom antenna. I cant remember the brand but i just bought it at FleetFarm in December. The tower is only 10 miles away. I get analog channel 47 from the same tower that also hosts digital channel 46.1 and frequency assignment 46.

What kind of antenna extra can i get that will hookup to my current outside antenna?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.