AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hooked up our HD setup about three-four weeks ago, and one thing that surprises me is that no commercials are in HD. I was somewhat expecting at least *some* of them to be!

Any thoughts as to why or why not? I'm wondering if any commercials from last year's Super Bowl were in HD, inasmuch as the sponsors spend such big bucks to get air time . . . .

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
There were approximately 4 commercials during the Super Bowl that were in HD. The only ones I remember were movie previews, although there may have been non-movie commercials.

HDNet regularly runs HD commercials -- the Budweiser spots stand out in my mind. I have noticed on a few occasions HD commercials on the other networks (perhaps CBS), although I could be incorrect.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I only recall commercials for movies being in HD during SuperBowl. Movie trailers are currently running in HD on INHD & INHD2. In fact, there's a whole half hour of them on a pretty regular basis.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
HHHMMM. New HD channel.

The HDCC, The HD Commerical Channel. 24/7 of nothing but paid for HD commericals.

Who's up for it?

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
IIRC the Superbowl also had an HD ESPN commercial besides movie trailers.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
ABT Electronics (a Chicago area consumer appliance store) used to run a hi-def commercial selling HDTVs. The commercial had Joe Montana tossing footballs at his neighbors until his interest was finally taken up by watching a football game on his new HDTV.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
HHHMMM. New HD channel.

The HDCC, The HD Commerical Channel. 24/7 of nothing but paid for HD commericals.

Who's up for it?
Be careful. The folks from Voom might add this to their padding of 30+ HD channels. It would adjacent to the "stare at a brick wall in HD" channel.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneGT
Be careful. The folks from Voom might add this to their padding of 30+ HD channels. It would adjacent to the "stare at a brick wall in HD" channel.
You laugh, but have you heard the radio station in Orlando, Fl that plays nothing BUT commercials for all the businesses that support the theme parks there? I couldn't believe until I heard it so you may be more right than you think! :)

Plus someone would have found a way to make HD pay for a change!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, even though we Tivo everything, I do skip through commercials more slowly during football games, as they can be entertaining.

But I'm odd. ;)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Most commercials are boring, but every once in a while i see one that gets me to laugh---like the Bud Light commercial with the guy throwing the bottles into the ocean with his address in them.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Bud always does great commercials. I like the new football commercials with the guy who blames the team all the time. I think there are three of those. Classic.

The Best buy commercials have been improving too.

Honestly I don't care about commercials for the products. I hate them in that sense. But I want something that will either make me laugh, or give me some hot girls doing anything, everything, or even nothing. :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've also seen a couple of HD Mitsubishi commercials, although I can't recall what I was watching. It was probably a major sports event (US Open, Masters, etc.).

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I thought some commercials are a form of HD. Every time I see a movie commercial they look good although not in 16:9 format they look better than a simply upconverted signal. Also that new Fox show A minute with Stan Hooper starring whats his face from SNL news every time I see that commercial it must be utilizing their 480p technology

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are the commercials that are wide screen, and end up being framed on the HD signal filmed in HD and down-converted, or are they just SD widescreen?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Reading this thread raised the following question for me. I have sometimes wondered if it is at least technically, if not legally, feasible for DBS systems to offer HDTV carriage for networks (CBS for instance) with one feed and when it comes to commercial time then automatically switch their subscriber's STB to the appropriate local (but standard definition) feed and switch back to the national feed for the regular program. They already carry the locals in SD anyway. This scenario would appear to satisfy local broadcaster's need for the local commercial breaks, yet still provide nationwide DBS carriage of HDTV programs from the networks.

Just how absurd is my thought?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I think the fact that the HD and SD feeds aren't synched up doesn't help. Not sure about satellite but I know it's that way for cable. But that would seem to be the best solution in terms of bandwidth now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.