AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering going the route of a cable card tuner in my HTPC (low profile) setup.. but i stumbled on some hidef recording hardware.. wondering if it will fit the bill and work with windows media player automatically, so that i dont need to do any post processing and just have it record..

I'm assuming if i get a hidef digital box from Comcast ($5 per month), it will have HDMI/Component and optical out ports? I could then use a device with an IR blaster and have it record the video and audio.. I would of course want the dolby digital to get recorded as well..

Are these the only solutions out there right now:

Avertv MTVHDDVRR $94 (no dolby digital ability? no ir blaster built in)?

Hauppage HD-PVR 1228 (external box) $59, can record dolby it appears, integrate with mce?

Hauppage HD-PVR 1288 PCI card can do all the above.. EDIT, it appears this isnt the same as the hd-pvr, but just a tuner card?

and

the newer one not out yet? Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR pcie card (not low profile?)...

Ideally i'd want a card that was low profile and not an external box.. i guess i could get away with some fancy rigging of a pcie with flex cable, but then the box wont be sealed but messy in the back..

I'm using the Lian LI pc-c37b htpc case.

Obviously the downside to this vs cable card tuner is that you can only record one show at a time, but the plus is that it doesnt cost $399 vs the Ceton InfiniTV 4.

Any thoughts..

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 /forum/post/19608521

Are these the only solutions out there right now:

Pretty much.

Quote:

Avertv MTVHDDVRR $94 (no dolby digital ability? no ir blaster built in)?

Both correct. I've tried to send it Dolby to at least use the ddwav kludge method, but it doesn't even receive "static", just absolute silence.

Quote:

Hauppage HD-PVR 1228 (external box) $59, can record dolby it appears, integrate with mce?

That's a hot price if they'll actually sell one to you. It goes used for $100+. Dolby yes, someone else can answer the MCE question.

Quote:

Hauppage HD-PVR 1288 PCI card can do all the above.. EDIT, it appears this isnt the same as the hd-pvr, but just a tuner card?

Yes the description is wrong. Tuner and SD capture.

Quote:

Obviously the downside to this vs cable card tuner is that you can only record one show at a time, but the plus is that it doesnt cost $399 vs the Ceton InfiniTV 4.

I think there are CableCard tuners for a decent price if you're only recording one at a time. Don't know since I'm in Canada.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan /forum/post/19609804

Pretty much.

Both correct. I've tried to send it Dolby to at least use the ddwav kludge method, but it doesn't even receive "static", just absolute silence.

That's a hot price if they'll actually sell one to you. It goes used for $100+. Dolby yes, someone else can answer the MCE question.

Yes the description is wrong. Tuner and SD capture.

I think there are CableCard tuners for a decent price if you're only recording one at a time. Don't know since I'm in Canada.

Thanks for that reply, confirming what i thought..

But what about the Slingbox HD... could that effectively replace my hdhome run for over the air HD.. and also take the input of component and optical (and record to wmc with dolby digital like the hauppage?) This slingbox would be more ideal as i've been seeking a way to get live streaming of tv for some time that actually works. EDIT: i guess it wont record anything, just sling it, so i'd still need the HD-PVR device.. but could get rid of the hd homerun from the specs i think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.