AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any 34 inch 16:9 CRT HDTVs that don't have speakers on the sides?

I have a 32 inch 4:3 HDTV. As more shows are shot in HD, I am thinking about getting a 16:9 set. I view the TV from 7-8 feet away so I think the size increase will be very noticable. However, I have a size limit. The set must be no wider than 39 inches (the actual opening in the armoire is 39.4 inches but I would like a little room to maneuver. I have seen a few 34 inch sets but they all have speakers on the sides that add about five inches to the overall width. Since everything will be played through the stereo, speakers of any kind on the TV are pretty much useless to me.

I've seen some LCDs and plasmas that don't have side speakers. However, picture quality and price are the primary factors (depth is not an issue at all) so I am not looking at those technologies.

Thanks for any help.

Jay

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Check out Toshiba's offerings. They've had a few 34" sets over the last couple of years that have been very good and have the speakers at the bottom instead of on the sides.

·
Premium Member
18,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queequeg22
Are there any 34 inch 16:9 CRT HDTVs that don't have speakers on the sides?

I have a 32 inch 4:3 HDTV. As more shows are shot in HD, I am thinking about getting a 16:9 set. I view the TV from 7-8 feet away so I think the size increase will be very noticable. However, I have a size limit. The set must be no wider than 39 inches (the actual opening in the armoire is 39.4 inches but I would like a little room to maneuver.
The Sony 34HS420 and Panny CT-34WX15 are both a little over 39" wide but they have speakers on the sides. If you can make one of these fit they're good TVs.

The Toshiba 34HF85 is the only one with speakers on the bottom and is under 36" wide, but it's now made for Toshiba by some no-name Thaiwon company that makes real low quality stuff :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
The JVC 34WP84 has side speakers, but they are very narrow - cabinet is just at 36". This TV however I believe has been discountinued. Its an awesome set if you can find one though!

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Toshiba 30HFX85 and 34HFX85 have just been released only a few days ago at Crutchfield. Speakers are at the bottom. Why don't you check them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.