AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I don't have means to record HDTV on D-VHS, I searched sites like amazon and ebay for auctions on prerecorded D-VHS HD material. There are none!

It would take a long time to get many movies out on D-Theatre format, and there are many movies already recorded by those who have equipment to do so. So why not sell? I don't see a legal obstacle.

This post has been edited by the moderator.

·
Registered
545 Posts
#3 would buy tapes if I had a D-VHS machine.

Which I won't unless it records from at least off air and from

satellite. Which JVC is addressing, so on we go.

·
Registered
380 Posts
AlexG - Are you asking to buy tapes from other people or just tapes from the companies selling them? I don't think it would be legal to tape something off satellite, then sell the tape - and unless something new has come out recently, I don't think there are any STB/DVHS recorders that can tape satellite at the moment anyway.

I would buy DVHS if the player comes down to 500-600 bucks. I'm all for HD, but an $1100 player is really steep.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I already did buy a D-VHS Tape, T2 on Dtheater. I agree with some of the comments about there isn't enough tapes out there to support the expenditure, but I'm being Optimistic :D

Samsung, and JVC are both slated to be released in the next 1 to 4 months, and the 921 PVR soon after. Richard at 169 time is close to having a solution for all those DTC100 owners that want to record Directv.

Cable has recently started to come to the table as they are realizing that Satellite may make endroads into their markets with HD. Combine those announcements with the announcements about content (Wb and NBC just recently), Chairman Powells letter etc, and I believe we've (HDTV early adopters) finally have made the turn to where our hobby will be becoming mainstream.

-----------Dave

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Screw tape."

It's history...it's reached that destined shore, crossed that great divide...it's a memory: forget it!

I wouldn't buy a new tape format if it was the only way I could see the Second Coming of Christ.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I, too, believe that D-VHS for HD material recording, while here and feasible, will NOT be nearly as long-lived as VHS (or even as S-VHS).

People have gottent the taste of interactivity, portability, random access, and robustness of optical media (CD / MD / DVD), and I'm afraid the manufacturers, realizing that, will relegate D-VHS to rather less than mainstream, in favor of technologies like:

* Blu-Ray optical media (same form factor as CD/DVD; significantly increased capacity)

* MPEG4 and / or other video compression (like MS Corona streaming media or Real 9?) more efficient than MPEG2 in that it would deliver higher resolution than MPEG2 in same bandwidth or same quality in lower bandwidth)

* Good performance video encoder chipsets having entered mainstream consumer electronic price points. JVC and Sony are already building in MPEG4 encoding / streaming capabilities right into their camcorders.

Alec

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AlexG
It would take a long time to get many movies out on D-Theatre format, and there are many movies already recorded by those who have equipment to do so. So why not sell? I don't see a legal obstacle.
You need to get your vision checked.

It's illegal to buy/sell/trade tapes that are not from authorized sources. This would include an individual that records a program and offers it for sale to another individual. AVS will not allow discussion of illegal activity.

The JVC DTheater DVHS product are authorized products, with approval from the content owner for distribution and sale of the product.

·
Registered
491 Posts
NO,

because Dtheater tapes will not output via firewire(no Dtheater HDSTB yet?), only thru component. I need RGB.

Vance

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ken is right, folks. I scanned ebay again and there are prerecorded VHS tapes there, but no TV recordings - only originals. Their legal pages describe why - basically the same thing Ken was talking about.

OK, so this thread is dead. Let's go to other threads to find a way to record HD at home.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The problem is going to be D-Theater because you won't be able to copy them to other media when they start wearing out.

This is not the case with D-VHS tapes recorded on the panny combo. They can be freely copied, so when a better media comes out the tapes can simply be transferred.

bb

·
Registered
690 Posts
I voted no, even though I wouldn't mind having one for the next two years at least while waiting for the HD DVD. I've also heard estimate of the end of the year for HD PVR's.

Both make more sense to me, especially when the DVHS is now only a playback unit for $1200 to $1500 and $35 for each tape, probably no bargains on these.... too much. I do know that four studios (at this point) are really going to give this a try, so look for some reasonable titles out there by 4th qtr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.