AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking for a QAM\\ASTC set top box that takes the new digital 4-1,4-2 etc stations and remaps then on an analog map of 4,5,6. This way my older tivo, vcr, and dvd-r can still function. Right now with most of the boxes I see they have an independent way of changing the channels so I could not tell my vcr to record something on channel 5 at 4pm and channel 6 at 4:30pm as the vcr has no way to change the channels. The same is true for dvd-r's and older tivo's.

Essentially I am looking for something that takes the new digital QAM\\ASTC channels and relays them on an analog channel map so my devices existing tuner can access 4-1 on lets say channel 5 for example. It would be nice but not necessry for this device had an HD output as most of the unencrypted QAM on a cable line are HD quality, given it would be on an analog tuner map so it will not be true HD.

Does such a device exist, if not please someone make one fast

Thanks

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
If you need QAM, you need an HD STB. Some of them have QAM tuners, but for standard definition, they will only output on analog ch 3 or 4 or composite video.

As for cable QAM channels, unless they are local HD stations, unencrypted QAM channels are not HD; they are only standard definition digital format.

In addition to the HD STB's, you could also buy analog modulators for each HD STB, which would allow you to pick the output channel going to your VCR.

To change channels for different programs, unless you do it manually, you'll need HD STB's with timer function.

Off the top of my head, I don't know of any HD STB's with both QAM & timer function, but with over 100 HD STB's ever sold, it may exist. Here is a starting point, a topic with all the HD STB's: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=179095

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scavswm /forum/post/16953997

Right now with most of the boxes I see they have an independent way of changing the channels so I could not tell my vcr to record something on channel 5 at 4pm and channel 6 at 4:30pm as the vcr has no way to change the channels. The same is true for dvd-r's and older tivo's.

That's right, all STB's that have an RF (antenna/cable coaxial type) output, deliver that output only on a single analog channel (either 3 or 4 depending on how you set the STB), regardless of which channel the signal actually comes in on (via antenna or cable). So you have to set your VCR to either channel 3 or 4 and leave it there, and do all the tuning on the STB.

As far as I know, there is no consumer-level device that outputs multiple channels simultaneously via the RF output. Some apartment buildings etc. do use systems that re-map satellite, cable and/or OTA channels to different channels that are fed to outlets in the building, but these are professionally installed custom setups that are far too expensive for most individuals (thousands of dollars).

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/16954246

Off the top of my head, I don't know of any HD STB's with both QAM & timer function, but with over 100 HD STB's ever sold, it may exist.

The Samsung DTB-H260F has a rudimentary "reminder" feature, but it's not all that dependable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts