Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read the fine print from the spec sheet in the link below and it states:

"For full functionality this DVR requires connection of (2) two Satellite inputs from a dual LNB DirecTV System Dish Antenna, and a land based phone line"

HD-DirecTV Tivo Spec

So just what exactly does this mean and what additional set-up is required?

I have a triple LNB Dish with the integrated Multi-switch, so how do I get the second Sat feed in to the receiver.

Do I have to have the phone line connected all the time?

Dave

·
Registered
332 Posts
Basically, it has two built in SAT receivers.That way you can watch one channel and record a different one.

Since your dish has a built in multiswitch, you just run 2 coax cables to the receiver. That leaves 2 left over for either another Dtivo or 2 non-tivo receivers. If you need more receivers than that, you need to put in a cascadable multi-switch.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your quick response.

So just run another RG-6 from the Sat to the Receiver. Wow, I wasn't expecting that. I already have two cables running, one for DirecTV and one for OTA-HD. Any thing available to take advantage of my current set-up?

Dave

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cheridave
Thank you for your quick response.

So just run another RG-6 from the Sat to the Receiver. Wow, I wasn't expecting that. I already have two cables running, one for DirecTV and one for OTA-HD. Any thing available to take advantage of my current set-up?
You could try diplexers, but it can affect your OTA reception.

A diplexer will combine one antenna feed and one sat feed, on one coax, and a second diplexer will separate the two feeds at the desired point.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for responding.

I guess i should have prefaced my post with:

I am a TIVO Newbie and I just pre-ordered the HD-Tivo, then I found the Spec Link in the TIVO Forum and saw the fine print and thus my questions.

If I must run another cable then I guess I will, but if the diplexers are cheap I suppose it won't hurt to try that first.

Oh well, we live and learn don't we.

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
bpdp: You are asking the same question, effectively.

You can use two runs, one with a diplexer on each end to carry the OTA while both are carrying satellite from the multiswitch.

Dave: You could also have just one satellite tuner if you wanted via one run, although that is >>not

·
Registered
985 Posts
Now that I'm going to go through the hassle to run a second coax for the SAT, I'm going to get rid of the diplexor and run all 3 separate. My OTA reception cuts out too often.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:
The phone line is only required so that the box can call in and tell them how many pay-per-view movies that you've watched. (If you leave the phone line disconnected, I think that they disable your box's ability to watch pay-per-view movies.) I've never had the phone line plugged into my DST-3000 since I don't watch pay-per-view movies.

Bob

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Just order PPV via the DirecTV website.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quote:
Besides the PPV issue, you'll eventually get a nag message with a DirecTivo unit. I accidentally left my (standard definition) DirecTivo unit disconnected from the phone line for several weeks and received a message that implied that I would lose my Tivo functionality if the unit couldn't call home. Whether or not it would really lose it's functionality, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, Good info, thanks.

Now by any chance has anybody made a single RG-6 Cable that has (2) two Cables in it? Then we could make a single run, cut and add the connectors. Well its a thought, maybe somebody out there has thought of this since the (2) two Sats in for TIVO is a common feature.

Dave

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate the link. Now I have something to think about. Good thing that we have some time available to make modifications to our existing systems.

Dave

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Sorry, but the losses from a decent diplexer are minimal, like 0.5 dB.... Now a crappy one might be a bit worse, but this assailment of diplexers is a bit misplaced.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
rogo, its a perfect example of the herd mentality that develops around here. Someone posts something that may have been true for them and next thing you know everyone is saying you cant use diplexers. I notice virtually no difference with my system diplexed or run on separate rg6.

Brian

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.