AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Composite Standard Def. would be cheapest but your monitor apparently does not support that.

You could run High Def. component video and digital audio over a CAT5/6 component/audio balun . Component video and digital audio require one CAT5/6. (For component video and analog audio, you would need two CAT5/6 cables). Since you have only one CAT6 you will need an audio receiver with a digital input in the bedroom. At the monitor end you would also need a component to HDMI (or VGA) converter such as this .

You could also run HDMI video/audio over a single CAT5/6 with an HDMI splitter and HDMI CAT5/6 baluns, but HDMI splitters are problematic. Sometimes they work well and other times they don't. It seems to depend upon the particular units you are connecting. With HDMI you also have the problem of splitting off the audio from the HDMI signal, unless your monitor does that.

To control the DirecTV box from the bedroom you could get an RF remote for the DirecTV box which runs about $25.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfischersweet /forum/post/19570242

Hello,

I have been reading the other various threads covering this topic. However, still confused.

First off, all of my coax is rg6 quad shield solid copper core, and then i have all cat6.

I have 4 directv satelite lines coming into my house in a closet. Then from that closet 2 coax take the signal to the living room where the directv dvr box is. Then hdmi to my tv.

I am putting a tv in my bedroom. 24" hd 1080p monitor. no tuner. I live to far in the woods to get off air broadcast, (i havent tried since the whole hd switch though.). it has an hdmi/dvi/and vga input.

I want to get the video/audio to that monitor from that directv box. (i know i will obviously have to get receiver/speakers for the audio.)

I have 1 free cat6 jack and 2 free coax jacks by the directv box. they go to the closet.

I have 4 coax and 2 cat6 jacks by the tv in the bedroom im trying too hook up. They run to the closet.

Whats the best way to do this. I can take a loss in quality on the picture. im going to be like 10 feet away (if not more) from a 24" monitor so i doubt it has to be perfect.

I know the easiest thing would be to get a directv box....but if i didnt want to, what can i do? What would be the kind of expensive way, and what would be the cheapest way.?

Thanks

One Cat6 line by the DVR is going to be a problem. Can you relocate the DVR to the closet and run an HDMI or component + audio to connections to your living room TV? Everything else below is predicated on being able to place the DirecTV DVR near the Cat6 lines that run to your bedroom.

If you cannot use component cables for your living room TV you will need to get an HDMI splitter to run HDMI to both TV's. If you can use component on the living room TV, since all outputs of the DirecTV DVR are active at the same time, you can run component to the living room TV and HDMI to the bedroom TV.

You will need an HDMI to Cat5e/Cat6 extender (balun) to get the HDMI from the DVR to your bedroom TV. Something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description You would connect the HDMI from the DirecTV DVR to one balun, connect the 2 Cat6 lines that lead from the closet to your bedroom.

You will need an HDMI capable AV receiver to take HDMI output of the extender if you want sound. Then connect another HDMI cable from the receiver to the bedroom monitor. If you don't already have this receiver and speakers, it might be less costly to buy a new TV for your bedroom that has integrated speakers to avoid the AV receiver. And if you buy a new TV, you might want to connect the DVR to the bedroom TV via component and leave the HDMI connection on your living room TV. In that case, you would need to get a component + audio balun.

Finally, you need some way to control the DirecTV DVR from the bedroom (and from the living room if it is in the closet). You will need to switch the DirecTV DVR's to RF control and have a DirecTV RF capable remote for both the bedroom and livingroom (unless you always want to carry the remote from one room to the other).

Hope this helps.

Murray

Edit: Carl types faster than I do!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
A 2nd DirecTV box will be the cheapest and best solution at least in the short term. $100 or less for another HD receiver and $5/month. It also solves the remote control issue from the 2nd room. For a bit more, you can enable the network/sharing function if you want to access DVR content.

If your monitor has a component video input, you could also use a component-over-cat5 balun with mono audio on one cat5 cable. Then either an IR/RF repeater or switch your DirecTV remotes to the RF style.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/19572592

A 2nd DirecTV box will be the cheapest and best solution at least in the short term. $100 or less for another HD receiver and $5/month. It also solves the remote control issue from the 2nd room. For a bit more, you can enable the network/sharing function if you want to access DVR content.

I have a DirecTV DVR on my one TV. I recently got a 2nd standard HD box for my other TV and there was no charge (perhaps that was because I was a long time customer, but it's worth a shot to ask for a free box). The did want $99 if I wanted another DVR. The extra box is $5/mo and I think the Whole House Connection from it to access my DVR in the first box costs another $3/mo.

I went that route as I decided it was worth it to avoid the expense and hassle of the splitters, converters, wiring, and remote control connections required to connect the second TV to the first DirecTV box. I figured it will take well over two years before the monthly charge total exceeds what the added equipment and wiring would have cost (and that doesn't include anything for the hassle factor or labor).

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfischersweet /forum/post/19576322

if you own two houses, a barn, and rv on the same property and you have a directv account, and you pay for all the receivers. you can put the receivers in any of those buildings/rvs and have multiple satellites and its legit, right? Could you connect the boxes that arent in the original house to the network/phone lines with out any problems?

Certainly it's legit to use anything you pay for.

By multiple satellites do you mean multiple dish antennas? You would likely have to pay extra to have more than one dish installed and I don't know if that would still be considered one account. They might allow only one dish per account. In that case you would have to run coax from your house dish to wherever else you want to go.

They do offer a special mobil dish setup for RVs.

Don't see any problems with connecting any of the receivers to the network/phone.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Agree with Carl that you'd probably have to pay for the extra dish(es), and D* should be consulted for absolute certainty, but there are a number of reasons single accounts have multiple dishes. The rule (not including the RV exception) is receivers at the same "Service Address". As long as the barn is not a separate household, I don't think they'd have any issue with adding more receivers...

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts