AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere already, but I couldn't find it. I've got the smaller DirecTV dish (for basic digital service) mounted on my house with no problems, but I want to upgrade to HD. My house in the woods, and apparently the HD dish won't have line of sight to all of the satellites needed for HD.

I do have a clearing about 200 feet away from where the receiver is located. I had a directv tech out who confirmed the line-of-sight from the location I wanted was good for all satellites, but said that since it was more than 100 ft away from the receiver, it wouldn't work. He explained that the amplifiers that they make will not push the low-frequency signals that the HD channels are broadcast.

Is there an amplifier out there that will push the full spectrum across? I can't be the only one with this problem. Cable isn't an option because it doesn't run out to where I live (it stops 1 mile away in both directions).

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm not good with HD tech speak, so please let me know if I'm confused or haven't provided enough info.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, the tech is not completely wrong, but it is in fact the higher frequency signals that suffer greater from attenuation over distance.

While 200 ft is certainly beyond the distance D* recommends for installation, I have seen runs that long that functioned correctly, although in my area we currently have nothing active in the high frequency (Ka-high 1650-2150mhz) band.

Your cheapest options are to acquire some RG11 coax cable which has a larger center conductor than RG6 and thus has significantly less loss per foot, or a powered wb616 multiswitch which will function to some extent like an amplifier depending on where you can install it.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
All copper RG6 will probably function fine as it's almost as good as RG11. Don't use the typical copper coated steel center wire stuff. If there is a power supply problem and you don't need the 16 outputs of a WB616, check out the power inserter at http://www.sonorastore.com/510.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.