AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone out there can help me. As a newbie, I don't know the right approach.

I am trying to help my father-in-law. He bought a Sony 42" HD plasma TV, Sony DVD player, and a T151 HD Tuner. He tried to get the Direct TV HD dish, but he only got a raincheck. Three weeks later he is still waiting for the dish., and the plasma TV will be installed next week. I have found a local store that has the dish but the best deal involves buying the dish with the Hughes Direct HDTV tuner/receiver. He already is a Direct TV subscriber (18" dish).

Finally, my question is, should he just wait for the previously order dish to come in, then pay for the Direct TV install? Can he use the SIR 151 tuner with Direct TV and use his old Direct TV for another TV room? IF I get this Hughes HD receiver and dish, install is included and I think I could use is old Direct TV receiver in another room. I'm not sure how local channels work best, through HD Direct TV or old antenna to HD tuner? Does he need anything else for set-up.

Thanks for any input.

Kirk

I

·
Registered
399 Posts
First the Sir-151 is over-the-air (OTA) only and will not receive DirecTV.

The Hughes E86 is probably a good deal, it is a good receiver and it will receive both DirecTV in HD and OTA in HD. You can not get your locals from DTV in HD, so you will need an antenna to get locals in HD. If it were me I would get the Hughes complete system and return the 151 (in general, not knowing the specifics, $, of your deal).

·
Registered
506 Posts
As mentioned before, you will want OTA for HD local channels assuming that they're available (large city and no obstructions). D* currently has 3 HD channels (HDNET, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD). You will need a triple LNB oval dish to receive all 3 channels. In addition, HBO & Showtime require subscription to premium packages. D* will be adding DiscoveryHD during December according to a CSR that I talked to yesterday.

If you have difficulty finding a triple LNB dish locally, there are usually many for sale on Ebay or from online dealers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.