AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 745 Posts

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #481

Quote:
Originally Posted by online /forum/post/14315145

I read through that thread and there is no proof, only conjecture.

If the only proof you accept is a written statement by the studio, move on. There is none. For the others you know how the saying goes: If it Looks Like a Duck, Walks Like A Duck, Sounds Like a Duck

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/14317116

I still think the look of this film is very intentional with regards to the era the film is set in and i don't think there is heavy EE in this film....Is there mild EE...Maybe so but it's mild enough that the film doesn't deserve to be on this list.

Concerning intentional the list here usually makes no assumptions if something is approved or not. Only the presence of some types of artifacts or processing is listed. While some cases are hardly approved others might well be.

Some of the TWBB stills show also lighting effects, not just sharpening. And the sharpening is not nearly as strong as "Gangs". But if we list only Gangs type of EE we are way too lenient. The TWBB type of sharpening is probably invisible on most displays watched from normal distances. It's easy to see on large displays and screens when projected. On a cinema type screen it would be very obvious. We are not limited to list 'major' EE here, whatever that means.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner /forum/post/14323405

Concerning intentional the list here usually makes no assumptions if something is approved or not. Only the presence of some types of artifacts or processing is listed. While some cases are hardly approved others might well be.

Some of the TWBB stills show also lighting effects, not just sharpening. And the sharpening is not nearly as strong as "Gangs". But if we list only Gangs type of EE we are way too lenient. The TWBB type of sharpening is probably invisible on most displays watched from normal distances. It's easy to see on large displays and screens when projected. On a cinema type screen it would be very obvious. We are not limited to list 'major' EE here, whatever that means.

I was quoting your front page. It doesn't state minor issues so i assumed minor issues wouldn't be a problem. From your front page

"This thread is not for basic discussion of what EE and DNR etc. is or if this type of processing or artifact is good or bad, distracting or not distracting. That can be discussed elsewhere. This list is for people who know what it is, what it looks like and have decided that they don't like it and want to avoid discs having (a lot of) it".

I didn't see a lot of EE just minor instances.

Sorry i disagree as i am watching on a 106inch projector and i do not see major issues with EE on There Will Be Blood....I don't even watch at a normal distance as i am closer to the screen than most would be at this size.

You are trying to say it is invisible on my screen....Tell me then why i can notice EE on The Professionals or The Mummy as just two examples.....I can even notice a few scenes in There Will Be Blood but it is not a major issue and lasts for barely a few seconds for a film running over Two and a half hours and this film looks beautiful on Blu Ray.

It's your list though so do what you want but i disagree with this one film being on it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Quick and dirty shots.

Grain in the background moves very unnaturally, you can probably see it's subdued (almost gone) in that shot too. There's also some pulsating too (when Jenny is singing at the club and it's a fairly close up shot for example).

Nice thick and juicy EE.

By your powers combined...

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Those captures are just awful. How can they take a perfectly fine transfer and botch it up so bad with DNR and EE? William Hurt looks like one of the statues in Patton.

I wish I still had the HD broadcast version to compare. It was open matte/cropped and compressed to death but I don't remember it being waxed up.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #488

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/14323913

I was quoting your front page. It doesn't state minor issues so i assumed minor issues wouldn't be a problem.

There is no objective definition of minor or major here. We already had someone posting that he could not even finish this transfer because of they way it looked. Obviously it was really major to him. I was iritated throughout the whole film. Other people are not bothered by almost any titles on the list. If we dumb it down till everyone agrees they don't like it the list is empty. On the other hand we can't put every title released on the list either. In this film the sharpening is going on most of the time. If it were just some shots I would probably not bother. But as it is it belongs on the list. People can then rent to see if it bothers them or not. I would not want to buy this (again) if I knew how it looked.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
Oh sh... Looks like New Line screwed up "Dark City" indeed. EE and DNR.

Very sad. First Pan and now this.

Putting on the list right now.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Movie: Enemy at the Gates (stalingrad)

Studio: Pathe

Disc French HD-DVD

Problem: EE

Time Codes: whole movie

Comments: not as noticable in some shots but most of the film is affected also aspect ratio is not the original 2.35:1 but opened up (supposedly with director's consent) to 1.78:1

URLs: AmishFury's comparison thread

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner /forum/post/14325404

There is no objective definition of minor or major here. We already had someone posting that he could not even finish this transfer because of they way it looked. Obviously it was really major to him. I was iritated throughout the whole film. Other people are not bothered by almost any titles on the list. If we dumb it down till everyone agrees they don't like it the list is empty. On the other hand we can't put every title released on the list either. In this film the sharpening is going on most of the time. If it were just some shots I would probably not bother. But as it is it belongs on the list. People can then rent to see if it bothers them or not. I would not want to buy this (again) if I knew how it looked.

Yet some of us say it isn't there as you describe it. But you would rather dismiss those of us who say it isn't there.

Ok get ya and i'll move on.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Is Dark City expected to be added to the DNR/EE list ?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
it's already on the list

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yet despite DVDBeaver's "Dark City" screen caps, the DVDBeaver reviewer has nothing but praise for the Blu-ray's video quality:

"The image quality differences show mostly in detail and colors which prove extravagantly superior in the Blu-ray - it also show a tad more information in the frame. The resized captures don't tell the whole story but you may click the Blu-ray to full-resolution to get a better indication of how improved the detail actually is. The color improvements are a bit more obvious by looking at the caps below which showcase truer skin tones, and more vibrancy in such areas as Jennifer Connelly's lipstick, Melissa George's blonde hair etc. Certain scenes, like in the diner, have a heavy green bias in the Blu-ray. Viewers with higher-end systems may also note how limited the digital noise in the Blu-ray.

"...a stellar 1080P transfer.... It looks and sounds vastly superior.... It's really hard not to give it a thumbs up all around!" --Gary Tooze, DVDBeaver

I haven't seen the BD yet, so can anybody explain the apparent discrepancy? Is Tooze seeing something different from what others are seeing in the screen shots?

John

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J. Puccio /forum/post/14328240

"...a stellar 1080P transfer.... It looks and sounds vastly superior.... It's really hard not to give it a thumbs up all around!" --Gary Tooze, DVDBeaver

I'm not convinced at all Beaver even knows what DNR is and looks like or cares about EE much. Let's wait and see. Some of the stills are very troublesome looking.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/14328257

The reviewer at DVDBeaver has been consistently clueless.

+1

BIG fan of their comparisons.

Never a fan of their reviews.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
So, the BD version is the same & also be included on the list?

Thanks.

High-Def Digest:

""Top Gun" hits Blu-ray almost a year after the HD DVD version, and nearly four years after a recent standard-def DVD special edition. Paramount does not appear to have remastered the film for this latest incarnation, utilizing what is obviously the same master."
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/941/topgun.html

481 - 500 of 745 Posts