Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dream.

Go to a legal movie site and be able to use a Netflix type search to access thousands of possible movies. Read a little bio on it, then order online. For $2

Have this download to a small TIVO type hard drive in my equipment rack. I have a week to watch it as many times as I like. Pause, rewind, etc. just like a DVD

If such a thing could download fast and /or have serious buffering to allow streaming why would I ever want an actual disc again?

Access to thousands of hi-def movies available for super cheap. Protected and encrypted to satisfy hollywood.

If anyone cares to implement, I'll be the first customer. :)

·
23,031 Posts
OnDemand is basically like this now except for the fact that content (especially HD) is limited. I haven't paid for any OnDemand movie so I don't know the viewing window time period. What you describe is more or less the future of watching movies. Although I doubt that the content in its entirety will ever reside on hardware in your possession. Video on demand technology has been around for quite a long time. But cable (and phone) companies are very slow to implement new tech. However if you think about the magnitude of their infrastructure you can see why things don't move as fast as we would like.

larry

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See, I would have no interest if I couldn't have it function like a DVD (pause, rewind)

I was reading about Blu-Ray players with it's phone line to change encryption, so I could see how a box could stay secure. Given that, having it reside on a machine for a week seems do-able.

As long as I get immediate gratification and don't have to wait for a huge download. That's why I was saying that maybe wait 5 minutes to start the movie, to allow enough to collect in the buffer.

Man, that's just so damned slick.

·
23,031 Posts
Quote:
See, I would have no interest if I couldn't have it function like a DVD (pause, rewind)
You can pause, rewind, and "FF" *now* with OnDemand.

By the time HD and bigger content libraries are readily available, MPEG4 will be used and the actual bandwidth will be acceptable for streaming. I haven't tried an HD OnDemand, but there's enough bandwidth for MPEG2 except when a lot more streams will be in use.

larry

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
What you're describing is potentially the future for the movie business. I just read an article in Newsweek about this. Since Theater ticket sells are in the toilet, and everyone either has or will have a Home Theater capable of Hi-Def and 5.1+, this move may be inevitable.

The article said that Hollywood could make new releases available for OnDemand customers right from the get-go. I don't know that the theaters would be bypassed, they would just have even more competition.

Either way, in 10-15 years, discs probably won't matter very much. They'll still exist, of course. But the primary mode of delivery will be OnDemand. Why do we need discs for rental movies anyway? If there is something you want to own, by all meams, buy it on disc. But for most movies, a one-time viewing is plenty.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, if OnDemand exists today, we're not 10 to 15 years away. It's just in it's infancy and being developed.

Has anyone used onDemand? I have no idea how this works.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
My wife and I use OnDemand all the time to watch the odd home improvement show (we're building a house right now). We haven't used it to watch any HD movies yet. They are there, but the selection is still pretty poor.

There are all types of things to watch OnDemand, it's just that there still isn't a whole lot. But that will change over time. My 10-15 year estimate is for when OnDemand will be the norm, and discs will be secondary. It may happen sooner. It depends on how well the new formats do, among other things.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White
Well, if OnDemand exists today, we're not 10 to 15 years away. It's just in it's infancy and being developed.

Has anyone used onDemand? I have no idea how this works.
We use it a few times a week to catch one program or another that we've missed. The HD movie selection on our Comcast system isn't that great (mostly IMAX that have already been on InHD), and the premium channels don't have HD offerings on demand, yet.

Overall, it works well, most items are free (there's a free movie section as well, but again not HD), and the picture quality coming through On Demand is the best on cable.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There would be more available and in higher bandwidth if there were reasonable copy protection in place, I'd wager.

It'll come soon enough. I'd personally prefer to not have discs at all.

·
23,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstate
On demand sucks. Horrible 5.1 quality and video quality compared to disk.
The HD or SD content? The SD content PQ varies just like the SD cable channels PQ varies. I, too, haven't spent the money to watch one of the few HD offerings. The SD stuff I've seen looks no different than the SD channels they came from. I don't remember anything about audio. I don't think I've watched any SD movies so I wouldn't have been inclined to fire up the sound system.

larry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.