AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is not being posted incorrectly, I don't know where else to post it as ther is no area for high def dvd talk. Anyway, I spent a great deal of time confirming this fact with various people from both the blu ray and hddvd booths today. Unless their marketing people are completely wrong- and I was EXTRMELY specific with my questioning several times- Bluray has a vastly superior picture. HD DVD will only have a 1080 i resolution, wheras bluray will have 1080P. As far as I am concerned, this format war is over before it has begun- bluray has the win as far as picture quality is concerned witha progressive scan 1080 image.

I pointed this out to the hddvd people, and all they could tell me was about how their players play standard dvds- so do bluray players. They salked about disk structure and some other ambiguous topics- all of which the bluray camp seemed ot have as well. I was really amazed- I thought both formats were going to be 1080P- who would want a next generation format with an inferior picture?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't think the difference between 1080p and 1080i will be anywhere near as dramastic as the difference between 480i and 480p, not really a deal breaker for me.

Did you find out if Blu Ray will be support HDCP? If so then I'll be opposed to BOTH formats. Give me 1080i over component please and thank you.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Not only is B/R the only 1080p format....but its the only format with the capacity to do extended LOTR with 1080p and lossless audio.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp
Does 480p really have "a vastly superior picture" than 480i when both have the same resolution?
Yes! 480p does have a "vastly superior picture" if done properly.

Although I admit the diff between 1080i and 1080p will be less dramatic. But then being in this forum and in this hobby, 1080p is the winner period.

wonderboy: HDCP is a must now. sorry there is a whole industry who thinks their rights are at risk.

Btw iansilv: actually I'm not too sure abt the 1080p. That's the output of BluRay players. The key point is, do they store at 1080p?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Has 1080p really been confirmed for BluRay? I keep seeing posts indicating that there hasn't been a commitment to 1080p yet....

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw
Has 1080p really been confirmed for BluRay? I keep seeing posts indicating that there hasn't been a commitment to 1080p yet....
The Samsung player is going to be 1080i with the Pioneer Elite,Sony player and PS3 all being 1080p.

All HD dvd players will be 1080i.

The Fifth Element in B/R ,has already been announced at 1080p and lossless audio.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy905
I don't think the difference between 1080p and 1080i will be anywhere near as dramastic as the difference between 480i and 480p, not really a deal breaker for me.

Did you find out if Blu Ray will be support HDCP? If so then I'll be opposed to BOTH formats. Give me 1080i over component please and thank you.
Yes Blu-ray players will be HDCP compliant. HDCP does not prevent HD resolutions over component. HDCP is designed to prevent digital video from being recorded and is to simplify, a requirement the player and display are compliant and licensed devices. If some company can design a recorder that records video from HDMI/DVI, the product will not be a complying device and won't be licensed. A related issue, that of component video resolutions being limited to 480p is optional and film rights owners can require that ability with any titles. My guess is that both HD-DVD and Blu-ray will implement whatever it is, some initials describe this option but I have once again forgotten what, and that any titles released that will restrict component video resolutions will be plainly labeled. What percentage of titles will have the component constraint option remains to be seen. I expected a large percentage after first reading about it but now believe the percentage will be very small. The reason any company would use it is that component video can be recorded and there is no other protection to prevent it. The DMCA makes circumventing digital copy protection a crime. Circumventing analog copy protection if there was any, is not a crime.

Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
But which 1080p (1080p24, 1080p30, 1080p60)? Isn't BR being encoded at 1080p24? That's actually less information than 1080i.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
24 is the film speed, not the refresh rate. I've seen pictures of players that specifically mention 1080p/60.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I am not the most technically proficient person when it comes to understanding 1080I and 1080P and the various scan rates so I may not be using all the right terms or thinking about it correctly. But aren't all the microdisplays in "P" (progressive) anyways?? For example, I have a 60 SXRD. If I feed it 1080I it will scale/deinterlace it to 1080P. So the real question comes down to what does a native 1080P signal look like versus a 1080I signal that is scaled/deinterlaced to 1080P. I am under the impression the differences are probably minimal. Any opinions?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Amir wrote in another thread some time ago that HD-DVD content was being encoded in 1080p h254.AVC .. are you sure HD is encoded in 1080i and not just the output of the first branch of HD-DVD players??

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
1080p not important?

LOL! :D
My sentiments exactly.

How can you possibly understand the value of a 1080p signal if you don’t have a display that can accept and show it? Yall have no idea what your talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich
I am not the most technically proficient person when it comes to understanding 1080I and 1080P and the various scan rates so I may not be using all the right terms or thinking about it correctly. But aren't all the microdisplays in "P" (progressive) anyways?? For example, I have a 60 SXRD. If I feed it 1080I it will scale/deinterlace it to 1080P. So the real question comes down to what does a native 1080P signal look like versus a 1080I signal that is scaled/deinterlaced to 1080P. I am under the impression the differences are probably minimal. Any opinions?
IMO more likely you won’t see the difference on anything less than a 60" wide screen. On a front projector capable of 1080p the difference will not be minimal. But I presume its all dependent on the processing of the devices in question.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Uh oh...here comes the misinformation police.

Both formats will store the data at 1080p/24 because that's what filmmakers

record at. The 1080i vs 1080p is the output.

To date I've read nothing which states that HD DVD is limited to only 1080i output and we already know that all blu ray players won't support 1080p

There is no real reason to have 1080p/60 for a vast majority of filming.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Functional Requirements:

Ability to convert the resolution of rendered content for output to accommodate all HD displays as well as SD

displays.

Key Performance Requirements:

1) Players shall have the capability of one of the following:

a. HD-50 output and PAL SD output

b. HD-60 output and NTSC SD output

c. HD-50/HD-60 output and PAL/NTSC SD output
2) Players should effectively handle conversion of progressive source for interlaced display and vice versa.
3) When source content is progressive, players that support progressive output should output full vertical

resolution without filtering for interlace.

4) Players shall have the ability to maintain a fixed output scan rate and resolution regardless of changes in

the source content (e.g. 1080p to 480i).

my emphasis added. Today's HD DVD players may not support 1080p output but I don't see where there's any inherent weakness in the format.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Isn't it the HDMI 1.3 standard that comes out this fall that is the main hold up as far as inputs that can accept 1080p?

Are the players that claim 1080p support doing so through as of yet unreleased HDMI 1.3 chips? Or is this HDMI 1.3 thing only an issue on the input side?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Quote:
Both formats will store the data at 1080p/24 because that's what filmmakers

record at. The 1080i vs 1080p is the output.
You're mixing up encoding and storing. I'm assuming they'll master films at either 4K or 2K, encode films at 1080p, and at this point, only Blu-Ray has officially stated that that's what they'll output.
Quote:
To date I've read nothing which states that HD DVD is limited to only 1080i output and we already know that all blu ray players won't support 1080p
Look, I went onto both the HD DVD PRG and DVD Forum sites and couldn't find anything that mentions 1080p. Those are supposed to be the official sites of both the HD DVD format and its sponsors, yet they don't say a thing. And if you check out DeaconFrost's pics from the "Pictures" thread, Toshiba's player specifically states "disc native resolution 720p or 1080i". Now Ja Phule has done some diggin and thinks that HD DVD will have flags for content to be output in 1080p. I've asked him to source it, but as it stands now, we have no mention in official documents versus a picture that omits 1080p and the word Amir on encoding.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen
Isn't it the HDMI 1.3 standard that comes out this fall that is the main hold up as far as inputs that can accept 1080p?

Are the players that claim 1080p support doing so through as of yet unreleased HDMI 1.3 chips? Or is this HDMI 1.3 thing only an issue on the input side?
Yes I believe so. I believe HDMI 1.3 should support TrueHD, higher bit depths (up to 12-bit). I'm not so sure about 1080p...I thought HDMI 1.2 supported that.

I know people have their platform of choice but Blu Ray fans have got to step of the "dooood HD DVD doesn't support 1080p!" schtick. It's getting old.

I'm going to know I have true 1080p until I have a device that can output 1080p with a display that can show 1080p without tricks like wobulation. Give me 1:1 pixel mapping. Hey if I'm going for the brass ring let me put everything into that effort.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Copied from another thread:

Quote:
Source picture resolutions, frame rates, and aspect ratios for 60 Hz Regions:

Horizontal: 1920

Vertical: 1080

Encoded Frame Rate: 29.97 (*Note 1)

Aspect Ratio: 16:9

*Note 1: 59.94i, 29.97p, and 23.976p with 3:2 pull-down
Does this clear it up or not? Video geeks, let us know!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.