AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference from 1080p vs. 1080i on a HD-DVD player.

I have a 50inch HDTV 720p/1080i i want to buy a HD-DVD player. But if 1080p is leaps and bounds above 1080i in picture quality i guess i'll go out and buy a 1080p native resolution T.V. But if there is not a significant difference i'll just buy the x-a1 instead of the x-a2 and keep my current 720p/1080i tv.

Any comments will be helpful in my decision.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You will see virtually no difference between 1080i and 1080p on most TVs, especially a set that small.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
 http://www.projectorcentral.com/blu-ray_2.htm

"The truth is this: The Toshiba HD-DVD player outputs 1080i, and the Samsung Blu-ray player outputs both 1080i and 1080p. What they fail to mention is that it makes absolutely no difference which transmission format you usefeeding 1080i or 1080p into your projector or HDTV will give you the exact same picture. Why? Both disc formats encode film material in progressive scan 1080p at 24 frames per second. It does not matter whether you output this data in 1080i or 1080p since all 1080 lines of information on the disc are fed into your video display either way. The only difference is the order in which they are transmitted. If they are fed in progressive order (1080p), the video display will process them in that order. If they are fed in interlaced format (1080i), the video display simply reassembles them into their original progressive scan order. Either way all 1080 lines per frame that are on the disc make it into the projector or TV. The fact is, if you happen to have the Samsung Blu-ray player and a video display that takes both 1080i and 1080p, you can switch the player back and forth between 1080i and 1080p output and see absolutely no difference in the picture. So this notion that the Blu-ray player is worth more money due to 1080p output is nonsense."

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
That depends on the TV. If the EDID (electronic device ID) "tells" the player that you are using a 720p HDTV, it will only allow you to ouput 720p from your player. If you are hooking it up HDMI or HDMI/DVI.

Now as far as component analog hook up is, I have never used those so I can't tell you the outcome.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson /forum/post/0

That depends on the TV. If the EDID (electronic device ID) "tells" the player that you are using a 720p HDTV, it will only allow you to ouput 720p from your player. If you are hooking it up HDMI or HDMI/DVI.

Now as far as component analog hook up is, I have never used those so I can't tell you the outcome.

True....This scenario does not apply to every television and HD player combination. You will need to try the different output settings with the tv and see what happens. My HD player (XA1) doesn't care which output setting I use with my projector.

Analog outputs look great at 1080i, but I see a slight degradation at 720P.

·
Banned
270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer /forum/post/0

So i can assume that having a 720p/1080i TV opposed to a 1080p TV will really make no difference also?

What you need to shop for is the display's native resolution. There are many 720p/1080i displays, but their native resolution is 720p. There merely accept a 1080i signal but are incapable of displaying all the lines of resolution for 1080i. Native resolution is how many true lines of resolution a display can acheive; ie. 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

I don't agree with the first responder in saying a 50in display is too small to tell a difference between 720 and 1080. It's a matter of opinion, however, so only you could answer that question for yourself.

But, my suggestion for you is to buy the HD-DVD player and see how you like the picture. Good luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
When I upgraded from 720p to 1080p Front Projectors (Optoma H81 to BenQ W10000) it was a very real difference in resolution and feel of depth - a very worthy upgrade (using 1080p source material)! My screen is however 110" (16:9) and my front row of seating is at around 10 feet and second row at 16 feet.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
So if I am using a 720P projector n HDMI connection, should I set the A2 at 1080i or 720P, while watching HDDVD ???

·
Registered
433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 /forum/post/0

So if I am using a 720P projector n HDMI connection, should I set the A2 at 1080i or 720P, while watching HDDVD ???

it will likely depend on your projector. try both, and pick whichever one looks better to your eye.

if you still want other's input, there's another thread that has a lot of different people's opinions, with their setups listed.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 /forum/post/0

1080i most definitely. I would also say if you are planning purchasing a 1080P anytime soon, to buy a 1080P model. Also in the XA2 is a Reon chip that upconverts superbly, if your TV has HDMI.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Having the HDTV take in and display the raw data without having to do any sort of processing or conversion is always the better option. So if you have a 1080p TV, ideally you should be feeding it a 1080p source.

That said, depending on the size of your TV and distance you away you are sitting (and your vision and how picky you are), you may or may not notice a difference.

·
Registered
606 Posts
How close is too close? I have a 57' in a pretty small room and I would guess that me and my wife sit at the most about 4 maybe five feet away. I know its close but it is the best thing i could put together to get that theater effect without a projector. Are we gonna go blind? I mean, I'm used to it and it doesnt hurt but I'm just wondering. But it is a 'must' to only have hd material on it....anything else at that view distance is terrible.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So my best bet is to buy a 1080p TV and buy the Toshiba X-A2 to feed it a 1080p signal for movies. I think i will be buying the Samsung HL-S5087w 50inch 1080p DLP. From what i have read from reviews this TV is great especially for the price.

So i guess i go HDMI from X-A2 to Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver and from receiver to TV.

And audio from X-A2 analog 5.1 out to 5.1 input on Receiver. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero_zep /forum/post/0

How close is too close? I have a 57' in a pretty small room and I would guess that me and my wife sit at the most about 4 maybe five feet away. I know its close but it is the best thing i could put together to get that theater effect without a projector. Are we gonna go blind? I mean, I'm used to it and it doesnt hurt but I'm just wondering. But it is a 'must' to only have hd material on it....anything else at that view distance is terrible.

You're sitting pretty close...I would tell you to have your eyes between 8 to 9 feet away from the screen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.