AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to find specs by searching on the forum and on the web, but couldn't find any information except disc size.

Does anyone know how many channels of audio HD-DVD be able to support, or is it too early in the game?

I'm wondering because I am looking into 7.1 receivers and wondering if 7.2 will be the HD-DVD standard and will utilize that many channels of audio, just as 5.1 is the 'standard' of DVD.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I don't know the answer, but some DVDs already support higher than 5.1, so I would go ahead and get a 7.1 receiver and I'm sure it will pay off if not now then soon.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I think it's a bit early to say but I agree with peter0302 on the 7.1 purchase. It may or may not pay off right away but 7.1 may become the standard for high enders and 5.1 will be the norm. I do think that 6.1 will fall away as soon as 7.1 is implemented. In the end who knows? It's kinda like playing the lottery at this point.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You can use 7.1 now if you have logic 7 or PLIIx. Besides the real issues is not how many channels, but how good the channels are going to be.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
I don't think the powers that be understand that this is the perfect opportunity to include more than 6 discrete channels of sound.

I have heard of HD-DVD possibly, and I do mean possibly, supporting 6 channel PCM with 24/96 and stereo at up to 24/192 using MLP just like DVD-Audio.

I could live with that if they couldn't add one or two more discrete channels so we wouldn't have to put up with this matrixed DD EX and DTS-ES crap.

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.