· Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen this

Here is the story:

CES 2007 Coverage

By Henning Molbaek

FIRST PUBLISHED Jan 9, 2007

Toshiba has announced a new 51GB HD-DVD Rom disc at this year's CES.

Beating Blu-ray by 1GB, Toshiba today said that they had successfully created a triple layer HD-DVD disc that could contain 51GB worth of data with 17GB on each layer.

"Continued improvement in disc mastering technology has achieved further minimization in the recording pit, supporting a further boost in capacity to 17GB in single layer and a full 51GB on a single-sided triple-layer disc. Toshiba has confirmed the disc structure and its successful operation." said the press release. "This time-tested physical structure offers proven volume manufacturing at little cost increment."

Toshiba has now closed the storage gab with Blu-ray, which can store 50GB on a dual-layered disc. It will be exciting to see if this has any effect on the raging format war. Stay tuned.

Here is the link: 51 gb link

Maybe this means that sound quality will improve. For example, TrueHD for BR is 25 mb and HD is 18 MB. SO with more disc space, titles will have space for higher master quality sound.

· Registered
6,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanneild /forum/post/0

Everyone has seen this.

Will likely never be used for movies though (player compatibility issues and all), and it's not even in the standard until the end of 2007 as far as I've read.

I think we will. The players may simply need a firmware update though.

· Registered
1,239 Posts
Man and I just quit smoking.

· Registered
6,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore /forum/post/0

Yes...ditto that

If it looks and sounds as good as King Kong, then DL 30 or 34Gb is good enough for me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.